1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is an MV F3 to live with as a race bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by xxaarraa, Jun 2, 2019.

1. xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

I have "MV fever" as my friends call it. I can't seem to get over the idea of racing an F3. I am looking for personal experiences from folks that have tracked/raced F3s, hoping to get feedback that goes beyond the general stereotypes.

Background - I don't ride on the street and this will be track only. I have an S1000RR and an R3 as my current track bikes, just sold a 16 R1 and have had RSV4/848 in the past.

Questions about the MV F3 I am hoping folks can shed some light on:
    • Fueling. I know the original factory fueling on the 675s were beyond horrific. Does a "REXXER" reflash smooth it out? Are there other fueling / mid-corner jerkiness issues to be aware of?
    • Spare parts availability - I am very familiar with Italian bike ownership and having to wait for parts to come in. How bad is it for MVs? I don't think there is an equivalent of AF1 for the MVs correct? Are OEM parts somewhat readily available?
    • Suspension setup - My local suspension shop does not rate the F3 at all. If I can get a TTX in the rear, is the stock front end somewhat OK for advanced group trackday pace or amateur race pace?
    • Electronics - I am hearing the electronics are decidedly first gen / crude, so I imagine turning them off completely would be the way to go?
    Thanks a lot, appreciate the thoughts from folks that have personal experience tracking MVs.

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Raced a new gen f4.

Never again. Rod bolts are 80 dollars . . . Each.

You’re on your own for everything related to setup.

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Looks like the four points you posted are a serious argument to not race one.

mryammy24 and Sabre699 like this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That there is some serious MV Fever reducer if ever there was one. 80 bucks per rod bolt!

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Just put mv bodywork on something that isn't a complete POS as a racebike. Even the MV factory doesn't like racing them

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I'd guess it's just as hard as tell your folks your gay?

TLR67 and R Acree like this.
  7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Someone has to take last place, may as well be you and a completely uncompetitive bike.

DrA5 likes this.
  8. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Make sure to have plenty of sprags in your tool box. Actually, you should bring at least 3 complete running bikes with you to each race. Main bike, back up when something breaks on the main bike and a back up to the back up.

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Jesus. This is next level even for this crowd.

OP if you can even think about racing an MV, I’m guessing you can afford it. Go for it.

Worst case - it sucks and is a nightmare, but at least you won’t wonder what it’s like anymore. I hate those nagging ‘what if I had’ kinda scenarios.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is a big detractor.

I remember when I had my ZX-6R and everyone was on a R6, it was hard to find folks that actually knew the ZX-6R. Like three different shops worked with me and they all would try textbook things, raise the rear, etc. because the thing turned like a freight truck. I ended up talking to someone at Computrack in Boston by chance, and said the ZX-6R front actually likes to ride high, and that made a huge difference. this was over 10 years ago, though.

TL;DR don't go reinventing the wheel sometimes, because it gets tiring.

11. xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Ouch, you guys are harsh! But it's exactly what I needed because after this thread my fever has lessened. It's still there, but I may be on the path to recovery.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Don't do it. Have seen several well-versed individuals try and go elsewhere.

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Do you want to race or spend your time trying to figure out basics? Do you want to spend your practice sessions working on reference points, entry speeds, etc. or spend it working on QS kill times, shock settings, ride height, etc?

If you are extremely experienced at set up or are working with a guru, I am sure you can get it competitive in a reasonable time, but like I said before, never again.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's a Ducati with an inline engine. Just use Ducati chassis set-ups from the same era.
    Unless you're gonna race an SB spec bike, don't even think about how much a rod bolt costs.
    Get a pipe, piggyback tuner, bodywork and send your suspension out for a refresh/appropriate spring rates. Don't worry about shim stacks/cartridges until you run out of adjustability.
    Done.

Be prepared to have the same lack of support at the tracks from your competitors...they all ride recycled beer cans. :D

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Ferraci ran one a few years ago in ama. I seem to remember one being wadded spectacularly in the chicane at mido. I was stoked to see it it out there. I think it lasted 2 seasons, never to be seen again. :-(

16. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

triumph 675 rod bolts cost how much?

DrA5 likes this.
  17. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

What are your goals? If you're racing against 600s and want to win, the R6 is the obvious answer as it is the most competitive out of the box and has the most support. If you're racing to have fun and want to learn, go for the MV. All the BS about being on your own for setup are true, but it's still a motorcycle; you're not entering the race on a skateboard.

Ride the bike and make changes based on what you feel. All the basic laws of physics still apply. I'm sure it'll be an absolute blast.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

According to BikeBandit,for the Daytona R, con rod bolts = 15.40/ea

pfhenry likes this.
  19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Was that the time the rear wheel got separated from the rest of the bike as it yard sailed to the moon?

20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This. Eddie had been around a while at a top pace, to boot. If he and others arent on it, theres a bloody good reason.