1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender neutral

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Spanish is very gender specific I don't know how they could even pussify it enough. Invent new words like Kanaduh I spose.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Reminds me of some cities renaming manhole covers to person entry or personhole. :crackup:

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

What if it absorbs water?

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

So this is actually happening in France? What are the proposed solutions?

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Traditionalists want to leave the words alone. Others want to feminize them. Right now, things haven't been settled and both are accepted, but it's trending towards change. By the way, I'm talking about words that apply to men and women (like the kind of job they do), not about objects. No one is talking about changing the gender of the pronoun used for a car or an airplane. But for a doctor or an author, things are changing.

6. nigel smith

I recently learned that it is a well nigh mortal sin to use a transgender person's previous name. It is called dead naming. There's a handbook covering all of this someplace, but as an old cisgender reprobate, I am not privy to it.

7. nigel smith

One tends to wonder if we will need to sanitize centuries of classic poetry and literature, or if they will receive special dispensation as products of a less enlightened era.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, since women had rather limited career options back then, there probably will not be much of a need for editing.

9. nigel smith

True enough. Is the trend towards gender neutral job descriptions using entirely new words, or will all people in a given field share an existing term? For instance, would we have actors, actresses, or something else? I have always been somewhat interested in the development of language. A large scale forced change would be worthy of observation.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Let's go with pretenders.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's more feminizing professions that did not have a female form before. For instance, there already are French equivalents for both actor and actress. But the French word for author was slightly altered to make a feminine form as well because it only existed in the masculine form. Some people accept both forms, others fight it (interestingly enough, not just men). I predict that the debate will it last (with decreasing intensity) until everyone currently in their 40s is in retirement homes.

12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Prefer to self describe obviously. Ran into the character limit somewhere around "baseball bat"

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Shit, I bet they didn't think of all those porous ones in their gender sensitivity training. Back to the drawing board. Inny, outty, spongy.

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Phrasing :D

fastfreddie likes this.
  16. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

The o/a is replaced with the letter x in Spanish. Perhaps you've seen the term "latinx" around, but it means non-gender specific Latino. Though nobody can agree on how to say it, it is preferred over latin@, which some say does not do enough to include non-binary or trans.

Thankfully these terms have not made it to my classroom yet. Not sure I will be hoping on board this trend. Hope I don't get fired like the guy in VA who wouldn't call a kid by her preferred pronoun because he taught her as a him the previous year.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think I'll just go with woke as a new synonym for stupid.

brex likes this.
  18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If I was in that class I would make all the teachers call me El Conquistador or something else ridiculous for a pronoun. All it takes is the rest of society to call it out for what it is.

19. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

That's what my management team calls me.
    At least when I'm listening. ;-)

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So question..do you think this dude is a psychopath or is he beyond top-tier level trolling the progressive/leftists. Before giving it a moment's pause I immediately thought he's a sick pervert, but then I started to wonder....