1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake line sweating????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 92cobra, Sep 4, 2010.

1. palomartian

palomartian Member

The latest iteration is 2375 I believe. It was invented for pumping MEK. The reason it works is it has no plasticizers. These are chemicals added to tubing and other products to make them stretchy and soft. Brake fluid dissolves them. That's why normal tubing like fuel line "sweats" brake fluid. The downside to Tygon 2x75 is it isn't stretchy and soft. More like solid and brittle as tubing goes. It will rather quickly mold itself to the shape of the fitting you push it on, becoming "loose." It will likewise deform under the clamp you secure it with. So keep an eye on it and tighten the clamp as needed. Otherwise you might wake up one fine morning with the contents of your reservoir all over your bike. I change the tube when I change my brake fluid.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

@palomartian on the tygon 2375... will the tubing continue becoming "loose" say if you push a 1/4" diameter tubing onto say a 3/8" barb. Can you use mild heat/cooling to change its plyability? How often are you changing fluid???

3. palomartian

palomartian Member

It isn't very elastic. If you manage to push it onto an oversize fitting without cracking it (not from stretching, from bending it sharply while attempting to force it on) it will still, sooner or later, hang like sleeve of wizard. I change the fluid every couple months on my street bike. I also put a piece of cotton string around the base of the fitting on the Brembo MC to act as an early warning that it's starting to weep. I just picked up a 10R for a dedicated track bike and I'm keeping the rubber line.

MachineR1 likes this.
  4. Alex Yampo

Alex Yampo Well-Known Member

Hmm i'm thinking if I should get a rubber line instead for my track bike ...