what to do in Danville

Discussion in 'General' started by ahastings, May 1, 2004.

1. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

Anybody live near VIR that can give any information about things to do with the wife , non racing related , a couple days before the Cycle Jam. We are going down to do the NESBA weekend before and staying down in the area in our RV until the Cycle Jam. So I promised her she could have the the 2 days in between to do what she wants. Any nice campgrounds or sights?
    p.s. My wife reads this board.:)

2. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

spend them days campaining for the endurance ride :)

3. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

There is nothing, I repeat nothing around.

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Hang out at Ed's Honda all day? :Poke:

5. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Forget it. Best thing to do is hop in the car and drive the hundred or so miles up to Richmond. Stay overnight, hit the Choco-Slip district, etc. Lots of stuff to do.
    Cheers, Lee S.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sunday night drive to the Outer Banks. Wednesday night drive back to the track. About 3-4 hours if I remember right.

7. crystalkd

crystalkd Member

If you like baseball the Atlanta Braves have a minor league team right there in Danville. The tickets are cheap. I'm not sure if they have home games. Other than that from what I've heard there's nothing there.

8. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

Raleigh/Durham is a little over an hour away. Fine dining, clubs etc.

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Lynchburg Hillcats are Pittsburg's farm team. Tickets are reasonable, and the team is pretty damn good.
    Blue Ridge Parkway if you're a scenic nut. VERY picturesque <sp?> this time of the year.
    Hill City has some historic attractions if you're so inclined.

10. clutchNthrottle

clutchNthrottle Fish and Chips Burner

This would be the closest recommendation. Or like Mongo said, head east to the outerbanks.... My other suggestion would be to head west to the Blueridge parkway/Asheville area, and all that rustic, woodsy, hilly, sceenery, romantic, nature type stuff....

11. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

There are a lot of great hiking trails on the Parkway and you can stay in the state parks. Asheville has a great art district and Biltmore Estate gardens are really pretty right now. Duke Rose Garden is nice if you go to the Triangle area. Chapel Hill is fun for antiquing and Greensboro/High Point is good for furniture discount shopping. Grandover Resort in Greensboro on I-85 has the best spa in the state. Make a reservation.

That should give her some ideas.;)

12. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Forget Danville or South Boston, unless you're really into baseball or cigarettes.

Laurie's suggestions about the mountains are great. If you'd rather go coastal than the mountains, the southern Outer Banks is always cool, especially if you're RV-ing.

But my suggestion would be Wilmington, NC. That town has everything.

http://www.carolinabreeze.com/gallery.php?n=336

There's a lot of history, especially in terms of transportation. There's the USS North Carolina which is way cool and across the Cape Fear River in historic (old downtown) Wilmington, there's a big train museum that has a really neat model train setup inside. (Really big one).

Across the street and a few steps down on Water Street from the train museum is a long host of cool shops and restaurants, especially the Old Wilmington City Market on Water Street. Can't guarantee the crab cakes in any of the restaurants and bistros will match Baltimore's, but will be close.

Then you can always check out the beaches nearby. Wrightsville Beach is only a few miles away and has one of the best stretches of white sand you'll find in NC. On the southern end of Wrightsville beach, there is a public access area where all the regional kite surfers hang out.

Can't say which beach is my favorite: My favorite is the one I happen to be on any given day. But Wilmington is two hours quicker than the southern area of the Outer Banks (the better part, less cliche and touristy). Plus, you have two worlds at Wilmington: old historic charming city and great upscale dining and shopping, plus beautiful nearby beach.

Just leave VIR, and once you get to I-40 (if you time it around rush hours at Raleigh-Durham), you can get there in little over three hours or so. Mongo's time estimate to the Outer Banks is if you're on a Yoshimura Suzuki. :D :Poke:

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mail box shootin'!!!!!!!

14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I say go to château Wilkins and sit around the house. Eat all the food and any time he gets mouthy demand more Corona.

15. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Wouldn't take long to eat all the food in my fridge. :eek:

But Stick's post reminds me. There's a fancy NC winery before you get to Wilmington just off I-40. Not like that huge chateaux near RA, but supposed to be a good tour. Duplins or something like that.

16. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

To add to Bruce's post, if you go to the Wilmington area beaches, try out Fort Fisher. It is South of Carolina Beach at the end of the island. It has a public beach access and bath house. Good fishing and NC aquarium. If you have 4 wheel drive, you can drive on the beach and get away from the tourists. You can take the ferry from there to Southport and charter a sail boat for the day. Get a hot dog at the Trolley Stop. They even have veggie dogs and they are worth the ferry trip.

If you go to Carolina Beach, you can go to Pleasure Island Rentals and rent a kayak. They will deliver the kayak wherever you want to put in. It is a purple and yellow building at the 4th stop light in front of the Marriot.

Bruce, you and I need to get together and get some of this beach work done around here.:beer:

17. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the ideas, but don't want to go too far since we only have Tue and Wed free. The state park idea sounds pretty good.

18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

That's what I do. :D

Come on, Bruce Wilkins. They can go to the Halifax museum, or visit the antique stores in downtown So Bo.

They can go fishing at Kerr Lake.

Lots of golf courses in the area.

There are things to do here.

19. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

ROTFLMAO! :D

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I'm just gonna play my guitar and get insulted by Brad Wilson. :D :Poke: :beer: