1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woolich racing and their gotcha clause

Discussion in 'General' started by blue03R6, Jun 1, 2019.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

F*CK............that sucks donkey balls.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Farmers have been fighting to ban this practice for years. John Deere being one of the worst offenders.

Odilup, backcountryme and 5axis like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. These companies aren't in this to sell you software once and never sell any more. They are in business to make money just like everyone else in the world.

Knotcher and joec like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So your two choices are (1) have do latest and greatest version of the software or (2) have a nice 400-lb paperweight even though you are happy with the "old, crappy" version you previously installed? If we got the full story, this is bullshit of the highest order. It's not as if people are trying to hack into your ECU to steal horsepower and you need up-to-date protection.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Everybody wants their vehicles (bikes and cars) to auto adjust errythang.
    I enjoyed it when set-up was a thing of personal finesse and having a winning machine was a compliment to your talent.
    It has been requested (after years of force feeding by the manufacturers) that these "innovations" become standard.
    Live with what you have demanded. Let's just jump to driverless cars and robot racing. No more foreplay. Hell yeah.

I'm gonna go have a beer...and not one from a hip fucking micro-brewery.

6. John Deere can kiss my ass. They don’t just do it they take it to new levels. They skyrocket prices and you are stuck, it’s basically extortion. You also need all the add on licenses, etc. We were JD loyalists for 59 plus years, just dropped over $650k on non JD equipment. It was more principle than anything else not to mention JD quality last 10 years, based on our experience, your mileage may vary, has sucked ass. Customer service even worse. Rant over. For the record I’m nit talking about auto pilot stuff, I’m totally onboard with that getting updated regularly. For you non farmers the stuff I’m talking about are things like data loggers and quick shifter type of things.

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

This, 1000%.

Since the newest bike I own is a 2001 I’m somewhat in the dark on these things. Is there no longer any standalone tuner units like the PCV, etc? Is everything a flash of the OEM ecu?

britx303 likes this.
  8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Then why does anyone need an internet connection when trying to make changes to their ecu?

9. Critter

Critter Registered

There are several reasons why software companies are going to Subscription as a Service (SAS) model
    1) Changing and updating technology -- Code bases change, constantly. Whether you are server based or web based in your software, what allows the user to see what comes through the computer changes daily. Requiring a current subscription to get the latest updates can reduce incoming, complex phone calls for compatibility.
    2) Enhancements and security updates. There is more and more hacking going on these days so software needs to be update to be safe.

3) Money, having a steady stream of income allows better planning and more resources to take care of number 1 and number 2

Pitmom42 likes this.
  10. Critter

Critter Registered

Because the software to make that change does not reside on your computer. It resides on the server that your computer is accessing. Having a web based application for software reduces compatibility issues and installation issues. The company only needs to be compatible with IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. This is really only 5 common platforms, VS software that is downloaded needs to be compatible with every other piece on your computer. Also updates for said software are way easier in an online application VS a desk top, or Server application.

11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I was wondering this too about the ECUs,whether or not these newer bikes are using OEM or not. My newest is my '99 R6.........and at this point I ain't ashamed:flag:

Sabre699 and joec like this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Suzuki doesnt have a way to "reflash" or "zero flash" your flashed ecu even if its under warranty? I cant imagine the hardware having a lock that can be held captive by a 3rd party? Whats to prevent nefarious dealers from randomly deploying a flash so you'll need an Authorized dealer to unlock it?
    Seems odd the non abs model would not work especially from a production standpoint. That would mean Suzuki would
    probably have to know exactly how many ABS vs non ABS units they would produce and subsequently support for the next 7 years.

13. TurboBlew

Wouldnt there be a reset or something on the local drive (ecu) that can be reset to new, never flashed? Like a format C type option for Roys bricked ECU?

14. Critter

Critter Registered

I don't know about the reset I was only commenting on why you need an internet connection to use it

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Nope suzuki won’t flash anything but they’ll sell you s new ecu for a grand. Not sure why the California non abs bikes ecu is different than 49 state non abs bike. I’ve looked at and studied all three wiring diagrams and can’t come up with a wiring difference so the difference must be in the ecu itself.

This has all been very frustrating. FTECU are complete assholes about the whole issue. Their flash currently in my ecu is garbage, I complained two months after they flashed it. Poor low speed running and a jerky throttle. They took it back and sent me a revise pos that was worse in the original areas and now it gets like 30 mpg and basically runs out of gas with 2-3 bars still showing on fuel gauge and it cuts out when the secondaries come in at 8500 rpms. Fill it up that goes away until fuel load drops to about half a tank. It’s their tune that is the problem. They’re clueless! I just wanted it flashed back stock or at best just unlock it so I can go elsewhere for a tune.

The used ecu I bought and had flashed at Dano’s performance has a really nice tune in it but my bikes speedo does not work with it and I get front and rear wheel sensor error codes while using that ecu because it’s a Cali non abs bike ecu.

16. TurboBlew

Yeah that totally sucks. Only other thing I could think is Suzuki sources the electronics from an OEM and I would bet there is some kind of standard architecture that allows them to use the same base component and modify fairly easy between models.

If you were to submit a warranty claim... how would Suzuki know what FTECU did to your ECU? Is there any visible markings or modificiations?

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

needing internet connection also keeps you from putting the ecu flash/software on a buddies bike... you connect, with the cable that is married to that ecu, and once connected to internet, the ecu is communicating with ftecu. smart on their part, or they would be selling way fewer software packages but really does suck when you want to make quick changes, and wifi is spotty.

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Set your phone as a temporary wifi hotspot, if cell service isn't horrible whereever you are, and that problem's solved. Plus, your connection that way is a bit more secure than connecting over a publicly provided wifi with sending account information over non-secured data paths.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

The current ecu is a replacement that suzuki replaced back when the bike was under warranty. Some bikes had ecu issues out of the box. I felt like mine did and had it replaced. Most of that issue was simply euro4 emission bs which I’ve removed all of that garbage once I had FTECU flash my ecu to run a full system exhaust.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

When you load the software on your computer, you have to hit 'I agree' which means you agree to the Lease agreement of the software! Obviously alot of people don't read the fine print...
    Your cell phone software is the same way, along with almost any software you use these days.
    Internet web pages are going the same direction so traffic and data across the internet will be manageable and not just loaded up and dragging down the speeds like in the past. There will be less images and videos loaded for marketing websites. That's why you are seeing more 'catalogs' for sales pages on websites. Data space, which affects speed and software maintenance-costs money.
    Pay to play is the current money maker!