1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Track Days

Discussion in 'General' started by Circacee, May 28, 2019.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

without me googling the track schedules, are these two track days on the same weekend? if so... please be safe on your drive between the two tracks as well as the sunday trackday. thats a lot of miles to cover after being in the sun in a suit all day long, and not a lot of recovery time before you are back in the heat riding again.

2. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

They are. I`ll be riding BW Saturday with Carters at the Track and Chuckwalla Sunday with Track. I have a co-pilot and we plan to head straight to Chuck after BW to camp out.

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

cool, just be smart. you need mental rest as well as physical rest between track sessions. be smart, if you are not feeling it late in the day, take a session off.

Yzasserina likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yuck... any mass produced sports drink (powerade, gatorade, etc) is going to be garbage for actual hydration.
    Not sure eating a banana in hot weather is going to give much of anything other than a sugar high. :D
    Last year I was riding with some friends at T hill and it was over 100 degrees out. Most of my friends couldnt really handle the heat even though there wasnt the oppressive humidity thats typical of the SE to accompany it. Thankfully there was a lady there demoing a hydration product so I could get them back on track to last the weekend.

I suggest a water bottle with a straw and just pour your bottled water in it. Mix in a hydration mix of your own liking.
    Most all bicycle or sporting good stores have a decent selection or free samples.

Nuun
    Skratch
    GU
    Clif
    SIS

Brian_J likes this.
  5. 1. Cold pressures are irrelevant. What is "cold"? Is Talladega in Feb cold, or is Road Atlanta in August cold? Ambient temps vary. The best and safe bet is to use tire warmers. Not only can you accurately set your tire pressure, but you will have better grip from the out lap, and don't you don't have to worry about wasting laps getting your tires hot.

2. Ergonomics vary for everyone. There is no default setting for clip-ons or levers.

3. Do you know what tires and suspension the OP is running? Do you know his current geometry? Do you know the stiffness of the springs in his forks? Do you know if and/or how hard he trail brakes?

Blindly telling someone to drop the front of their bike 1/4" is not a good practice to get into.

TLR67 likes this.
  6. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

@Gorilla George You do realize you just fell into Buffalo Bill's drama hole in the basement trying to sneak up on yourself in the mirror, right? ;) :D

7. I have read that 6 times, and still have no idea what it means. :crackup:

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

You need to catch up on the FrancisA shitshow. It was a reference to a couple of posts in there. ;)

10. Ah. I saw that thread, but it is way too long to hold my attention. I made it a couple of pages and that's it.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's so long it's as if you wrote it.

12. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

isn't propylene glycol an approved coolant?

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You can run propylene glycol or even regular coolant in many track day organizations. Some prohibit it once you get to the Advanced group. Some discourage it, but will let you run it. Check the rules for whatever racing or track day orgs you plan on running as they differ wildly. It is better than regular coolant in a couple of ways:
    1. It is non-toxic to animals.
    2. I have heard it is a little easier to clean up than regular coolant. It takes a bunch of water vs a bunch of water and scrubbing / solvents. They are both slippery and will take a long time to clean up.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not with WERA and I personally don't suggest it ever for any bike on track. Overheat for whatever reason and a little on your tire you're on your ass - not as likely and definitely not as quickly if you use just water.

javyday likes this.
  15. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I’ve always run water wetter and I hear those who say to just run water. However, I just have been through a motor that used water only and everything in the coolant system that could rust did. I realize that if you use distilled water you shouldn’t have this problem but the first time you need to add water at the track and don’t have distilled, the system will be susceptible to start rusting . Not sure if it really matters for performance of the cooling but it sure looks bad.
    What is the word on cooling properties if the water is rust orange?

16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Water Wetter has no glycol and is approved everywhere AFAIK?

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well by going to water only... the cooling system isnt worry free like with standard glycol coolants. I would be changing coolant with mocool as frequent as engine oil. End of the season look at water pump/seals/ assembly. Bottled water isnt going rust anything on a short time interval.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I've heard distilled water will leech material out of the system. Something to the tune of water "wanting" to have stuff in it, and since distilled is nothing but water, it will act as a sort of solvent.

I have no idea how true this is. Just something I heard/read - maybe even on here.

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have heard pretty much all the options:
    • just distilled water
    • distilled with water wetter
    • just tap
    • tap with water wetter
    Anyone have the real science or 10+ years experience to back it up? A factory like team or people that keeps a bike / motor for 2-3 years is irrelevant. I want people that have run it in the same motor for at least six years.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is real experience with just distilled - better with filtered bottled and water wetter or the like.

TurboBlew likes this.