1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport-oriented bikes with narrow tanks/frames

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, May 27, 2019.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

So, I've finally given up on the K4 600. The frame and tank are just too damn wide for my shit hips (cam-impingement on both sides). The impingement doesn't affect other aspects of my life, so surgery is off the table for now.

I rode a buddy's Ninja 400 on my last track day that had stock rearsets, and it was by far the most comfortable and confident I've been on track in a long time. After comparing the ergos side-by-side - which were roughly the same - I picked up a prepped Ninja 300.

While I'm sticking with the 300 for a while, I was curious what other motorcycles might fit the bill for me. Narrow tank/frame are a must. I sat on a '15 Super Duke, and was blown away by how narrow the tank was on that bike. The RC8R seems like it'd fit the bill as well.

What else should I look out for in the future? Seems like singles/parallel twins/V-twins are a good starting point.

2. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

My buddy has a 675r that is pretty narrow might want to check that one out when you get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

SV, panigale or really slim 916 (but a bit older)

The Beer Hunter, turbulence and Senna like this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Panigale 1199 R has been a dream bike of mine for years. Now I feel like I finally have an excuse to get one. :D

Newyork likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Well, get onto it!

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

996 too.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. I have always preferred bikes that are narrow/thin. I hate it when the gas tank is wide, and they are really wide under the clip-ons (like the older R1 and current ZX10).

You will need to go with a Triple or Twin.

The Triumph 675 is very narrow, as is the Panigale. Those are your best choices.

turbulence, ducnut and Senna like this.
  8. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I really like my RSV4. To me it is narrow where your legs are but it flares out and is fairly wide at the front which can support your arms very well, especially if you take the bike to the track.

9. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

Another vote for Triumph Daytona 675. I’ve had all 3 generations of this platform. Narrow, nimble and fantastic engines/torque. The down side on them for me are prices and parts availability. I now ride an R6 like everyone else. It was an adjustment getting used to how much wider it is and the narrow torque band.

rugbymook likes this.
  10. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Triumph Daytona 675.

rugbymook and ducnut like this.
  11. Ah, I totally forgot about that one. The RSV4 is narrow also. I liked it a lot too as far as the shape of it. It felt good. But it was so damn heavy.

12. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

Base of RsV4 seat is wide tho, so it may be a pita for you sitting on it on the grid, etc.
    but it is very narrow, yet incredibly supportive when riding, as others have said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senna likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m a fan of narrow tanks/seats, as well.

For all-around goodness, very hard to beat the aforementioned Daytona 675. I had an ‘06 model for a track bike and it was brilliant.

I have an SV650S in the garage and it’s wider than a 675 and my ‘98 VFR800, which is pretty slim through the middle.

Anything Ducati seems good, with the 999/749 being my favorite.

Some go out and buy whatever they ‘think” is the greatest, without considering the interface to the bike. I’ll take another Daytona 675 over anything else out there, just because of how it fits.

Senna likes this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Seems like the 675 is a big favorite. I’ll have to sit on one of those again sometime soon.

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

ducnut likes this.
  15. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don't get an old 900RR. Man, that thank was like a pregnant whale. But, I still love it.

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The K4 is pretty bad too. Somehow I didn’t even consider this when I was shopping for a track bike. Oh well, now I know.

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Triumph parallel twins are pretty narrow too, if you're into retros.

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Honda Hawk. One of the narrowest bikes I've ridden.

19. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

TZ125 and 250 GP bikes - nice and small and easy to hang off!

Senna likes this.
  20. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I've got RC8's, they're really narrow, but the tail is pretty fuckin high so you have to swing the shit out of your leg to not scrape it with your boot. Well, at least I do.

ducnut, Senna and 418 like this.