1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The negatives I consistently see are complaints of wet weather traction, scenarios relying on the tire to dig, and people suspecting the center rib on the rear being the cause of traction issues. But, everyone says they wear like iron. Seems the unhappy try the E07 next and report better performance.

2. Critter

Critter Registered

So Tell me about the HARD sections of the KAT.... Are they like mountain single track or double track? wide enough for a rallybike?

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

What do you mean by rallybike?

I haven't been on most of the hard sections of the KAT but I've been on some. One of them is a trail that I've done a decent number of times on a full dirt bike. It's the S-tree and Turkeyfoot trails, near McKee, KY. If I recall correctly, each section is about 8-10 miles. It's legitimate singletrack that I would not really consider on a full sized (500+lb) bike. My brother in law is a novice an not very talented, and with him, I basically only do S-Tree out and back on a Saturday ride. Doing the full S-tree and Turkeyfoot out and back (~40 miles) it is a good day's ride for medium paced riders on dirtbikes. I'm good on a roadrace bike, but probably just okay on a dirbike. I'd say at full speed, that 40 miles would take me 3-4 hours to complete.

If I recall correctly, Hard 7 is in the Ridge state forest. Going clockwise, it's really easy for the first half of it, then gets slowly more and more difficult. I don't think it is ever super difficult, but the last section is off camber on a slick rock covered in sand that was very difficult for a buddy of mine who was pretty inexperienced.

We tried a couple other sections that were very muddy/rutted and generally not fun for people without much dirt experience. I was able to get through all of it on a KTM 525EXC with 17" wheels on TKC80's, but it hadn't rained that much when we were out there.

5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Here's the issue: He said he wanted a dual sport tire - - - something other than a knobby DOT. When you go down that path, someone always has traction issues. I don't know the E07. It may be a great tire. I know the Scout. It is excellent on the road and ok in the dirt (front & rear). Wet is wet and lacks traction, imho. My "complaint" about the Scout is its stiff sidewall and mounting. And, they are somewhat pricey. But, they wear like iron, as do the Super Mefo rears.

So, ymmv with one's particular preferences. Go figure: tires are like oil . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

6. Critter

Critter Registered

If you want a good dual sport tire look at the Karoo Extreme, that is what I use now and what I raced on in the Dakar

SmokeSignalRT and ducnut like this.
  7. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

When are you thinking of going, CR?

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Dang it, dude. You sound offended.

I’m just throwing out additional info I’ve seen. K60’s used to be the go-to tire. However, many in the ADV community have found better, to them, alternatives.

You should research, or even try, the E07. It’s a great tire.

All these burly, ADV tires are stiff. I run Motoz Tractionator Adventure and they’re stiff, too. But, that’s part of a durable tire designed to not tear or allow easy dinging of rims. In short, they protect your ability to keep rolling in the most extreme and remote parts of the world :)rolleyes:).

9. Critter

Critter Registered

Attached Files:

10. Critter

Critter Registered

I don't know, maybe in the fall I am just looking at it now......

11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine has one, at least I think it is a 950 SE that he keeps saying he's going to sell. Don't think he's ridden it more than a couple times since we rode to Alaska a few years ago.

cBJr likes this.
  12. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Let me know if you want company. I could break away for a few days by then.

13. Critter

Critter Registered

OK Dokey

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

No offense at all. It's the beeb - getting offended would be in apropos, and more importantly, a waste of time and effort. Always interested in other's opinions.

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.
  15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

sweet bike. Looks like you could take that thing dang near anywhere.

16. Critter

Critter Registered

I took it through 10 stages of the Dakar

cBJr and ducnut like this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

:bow:

18. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the Pirelli Rally STR. I was riding with supermoto guys all week in the deals gap area on my GS and more than held my own. Love those tires for the street. I was railing. No chicken strips left and never a hint of traction loss. Also did some really rocky trails, single track, and tons of gravel. It did everything well. This is my second set. The only place they will let you down is sand and mud. But you can still get through just about anything.

SmokeSignalRT and 83BSA like this.
  19. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I've been reeeaallly considering a Tiger 800. Finding myself looking for used ones for sale. I've never ridden one, but have heard good things. I have aWR250 now (that I'd keep), but looking for something bigger/more power/more comfortable for longer rides mostly on pavement but with the ability to hit some gravel backroads. 650-800cc range seems to be the sweet spot. Still trying to get familiar with all the Tiger models. Good bike though, huh? For a while I was set on a BMW F800GS, but the Triumph has kinda taken over my interest.

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Get yourself to SPI (fly and ride) and I’ll smoke you a deal. Disregard the number written on my list, as I was just trying to come up with everything on it. I’d be willing to let it go at $8500. Declining health is the reason for sale.

Attached Files: