1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake line sweating????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 92cobra, Sep 4, 2010.

1. 92cobra

92cobra Well-Known Member

Well....I finally installed some SS lines on my bike and switched my stock black hose that connects the master cylinder to the brake resivor with a clear one using a piece of clear hose that I had lying around the garage and began to notice that it seems to sweat? Really odd to me. I am using Motul RBF 600 for fluid. The lever feel is great and I have not noticed any fade or fluid lose anywhere. Let me know what you guys think.
    Thanks,
    David

Attached Files:

2. eboos

eboos Slowski

The hose that you used is not rated for brake fluid. I had the same issue. I used clear fuel tank vent hose for my brake res, and I just replaced it.

3. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

Get up with Kurvey Girl and she will send you some Tygon clear hose suitable for brake fluid

Ducti89 likes this.
  4. 92cobra

Thanks-a-Million guys!

5. IridiumRed

IridiumRed Member

Btw, anyone else having an issue with this, what you want is Tygon 2075 tubing (there are many different kinds of Tygon tubing.... 2075 is the compound you want).

Mcmaster Carr has it, among other people...

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I had a customer that used some Home Depot clear tubing exactly like you did, and when I swapped it out for the Tygon, there was a lot of milky residue in the master cylinder. The brake fluid breaks down the cheap shit tubing. I had to clean everything out in the parts washer.

418 likes this.
  7. 92cobra

I just got mine from Kurvey Girl and am installing today. I didn't ride the bike when I noticed this and will be bleeding the brakes again tonight.
    Thanks,
    David

8. 2001chromo

2001chromo Well-Known Member

Does the proper Tygon tubing discolor (become opaque) over time?

9. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

No, mine hasn't in the almost 2 years it's been on there. Still as clear as the day I installed it.

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I use the same hose on my brembo master and it sweats but it doesn't make a difference mine has been on there for almost a year now and it doesn't effect it at all.

11. crabman

crabman Member

Whats the benefit to using the clear tubing vs the black oem tubing?

12. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

Clear tubing is lighter and adds 3hp.
    Other than that, no benefit at all.

13. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

+1

14. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I use clear just to see if there are bubbles in the line, other than that no real benefit.

15. Alex Yampo

Alex Yampo Well-Known Member

Reviving an old thread. Have a black OEM tubing and all of a sudden it starts sweating. Haven’t ridden the bike after the last crash but the break system is fine. Could the tubing have cracked somewhere during the crash?

Should I just replace it with the Tygon tube?

Thanks in advance all!

16. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

It's part of your brakes and just costs a couple bucks. Replace it.

Ducti89 likes this.
  17. Alex Yampo

I’m definitely replacing it. I’m just trying to understand why all of a sudden it started sweating ...

18. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Also possible the resevoir now has a small crack in it from "the last crash" so give that a close look too.

JBall likes this.
  19. Alex Yampo

Makes sense. Thanks again!

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The one bubble bothers the rider and he asks about it, it's distracting. Knowing that it is not an issue, I prefer the black tubing as we bleed and check the brakes all the time. :)

All of the tubing eventually loses its ability to deal with moisture, in my experience, even 2075 Tygon. Brake fluid is caustic, mean, and tastes terrible. It eats away at the tubing. Just keep a small spool of tubing, replace it occasionally when you service the system. Problem solved.