1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 RM85 Supermini - setup?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Greenhound386, May 23, 2019.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I bought a pretty well-built RM85 supermoto a couple of weeks ago. 12" mags, some type of big brake system, a built motor, and more. I rode the bike for the first time last week, and it felt awesome. While I was there, a buddy had a CR85 that he let me ride. Right away, I realized that his CR was significantly lower than mine (easily multiple inches). His bike was the best handling mini I have ever ridden. Totally independent from that, a couple of other guys that rode my RM said it felt really high in the rear, and although it handled really well, it has some room for improvement.

I think the shock is off of a big bike, but I am trying to track down the details from the previous owner. Whatever it is, the shock height isn't adjustable. What's the preferred shock setup for this bike (or this type of bike)? Ideally, is there something that bolts in that works really well? I have 2 brand-new OEM ZX-6R shocks from previous builds, and I have heard of those being used on 65 applications before.

2wheeldev likes this.
  2. Greenhound386

Another train of thought: any opinions on using a lowering link for the rear instead of screwing around with the shock that is on it? Geometry would change, but hard to imagine it would be a huge deal on a mini.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Is your bike lowered?

4. Greenhound386

No. Having the opposite problem. Bike sits significantly taller in rear than other 85s. I am assuming it is the shock that was put in. Looking for advice on what's most commonly used on this bike.