1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some broken truck advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, May 21, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Bargain addict

BigBird likes this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Had one of them. Sucked WAYYYYY worse than this.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Richie,
    Here is my broken truck advice, Don't get one and if you already have one, fix it!

Mongo,
    Did your Lectra duece and a quarter have curb feelers? Back in 1974 I worked for an auto parts store jn Milwaukee and we had lots of customers with 225s and other cars of that ilk, like El Dorados and Buick Rivieras and Toronados.. We could not keep those cheap chrome springy curb feelers in stock.

4. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Bought her new in December '98. Still going strong!

Of course, she only has about 115k miles on her. But still... :D
    99 Taco.jpg

5. Swabian :D

Phl218 likes this.
  6. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Don’t get it rebuilt at a shop. Get someone to install a reman unit. I believe Jasper is 3/100k warranty.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That's what I'm doing. Didn't want rebuilt.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Went to go pick it up at the service shop at Crown Nissan. That's where it's been since monday. After their diagnosis, letting it sit there, umpteen phone calls, and a complete list of stuff they'd do, they didn't charge me a dime for their trouble even though they weren't getting the job. I thought that was pretty cool of them. I'll use them again just for that reason.

turner38 and BHP41 like this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

so you're paying $1200 for them to just swap it?

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Baller

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

sounded like they were rebuilding it with their transmission guy from this....

12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Most shops dont rebuild transmission in house.
    They sub them out.
    My shop is based of off wholesale work to other shops.
    only advice i have is do not put another radiator in it and hook trans up to cooler.
    Put a stand alone cooler on it.
    Even aftermarket radiators have issues with cooler going bad.
    Best of luck and thanks for the shout out from my fan club.

Steven

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Uhh, what do you think a reman is? Doesn't matter who does it, If it's not done right its still a paper weight. Like said, too many specialty tools for a typical shop to do it, they'll just sublet the part from somewhere. Im partial to OE reman engine/ transmissions. Had the least amount of issues with those than any other, although it does happen regardless.

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I would put it as either someone who rebuilds them vs a company such as Jasper. True that both are being rebuilt using cores. Easier for a local trans shop to not replace a slightly worn component. So I view reman as all components meet new specs.

BigBird likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

basically what we are saying is buy a new truck :)

Sabre699 and ducnut like this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The problem with a volume shop is just that, VOLUME.

If you look at the labor force companies are having to choose from, there really isn’t much on offer, especially with the proliferation of drugs, people that don’t want to work, those that have little mechanical aptitude, etc. I guarantee you, the volume shop with warm bodies is going to have more cost cutting and QC issues than a solid, local shop. Extrapolation will make or break anyone dealing in volume, just like it has broke Jasper. The small shop has to do good work to keep people coming in, reinforcing their reputation, and keeping the doors open.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Exactly the case.
    Also the owner of Jaspers number one goal is to make 1 dollar profit off all his units that he personally sees.
    Now if your selling 2.5 million a yr i think you can do the math.
    Now also jasper and all the authorized rebuilders for dealers are not allowed to modify anything at all.
    Which in some units means that if you got a core with 300k miles on it and it passes a visual inspection then you are getting a wore out valve body.
    An independent shop can bore out valve body and install aftermarket valves that makes them like new again.
    You can become an authorized builder if you get the price low enough for shop who is trying to smooze a manufacture.
    Im personally not a fan of mix matching parts for planets and gear trains.
    Causes to many problems in long run.
    Best of luck.

Steven

bored&stroked, Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  18. This is what you reap when you buy a vehicle with a slushbox. They all suck.

pickled egg likes this.
  19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

A reputable local shop can tailor a transmission to your needs. A wholesale rebuilder, or even the OEM supplier, do not have this capability. The shop I use gives a one year warranty, which is certainly long enough for any assembly flaws to show.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was truly amazing. One of those I wish I still had :D