1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new topic, what do you know about Bell's Palsy?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stumpy, May 22, 2019.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

had an incident this week that started with a bad headache behind my right ear. Next day I had facial drooping, numbness on the right side of my tongue, right eye wouldn't quite shut all the way, and right side of mouth wouldn't seal. Went to the ER, ran all the tests, and they landed on Bell's palsy. Anybody in the land of beeb have experience with this? I was already ugly, I don't need to add wonky to my description.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I only know one person that was diagnosed with it. The last time I saw him his face was back to normal and when he developed it I remember him saying that the symptoms are often temporary. I don't know how long that took however.

3. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

The plus side is I can fit in with the locals at the talladega Walmart now.

SpeedyE, FrancisA, Wingnut and 6 others like this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Sounds like a mild stroke? Any body symptoms like weakness on one side , dropping things?
    Happened to me last October. Went to sign a check and my hand just wouldn't work, one leg was weak and trailing. Cat scan, MRI, the usual battery of tests done?. Second opinions are good. Hope it works out buddy.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My wife had a single episode of this some years back. They checked her out in the ER because we were scared it was a stroke. Completely back to normal in a few days and no recurrence since.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It'll buff out.

K51000 and noles19 like this.
  8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

My BIL had it several years ago and recovered completely.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I had a coworker that got it, young guy, out of the blue. He recovered in a few weeks.

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I know a few people that this happened to. 2 of them still show very slight symptoms of having it in their eye and slight droop in their mouths on the one side. They both say its about as good as its going to get for them,but they were beyond mid-life when it occurred so that adds to recovery overall. The other people I know that had it recovered with almost no sign of it whatsoever. If you are into strongman sports, this just happened to one of our top guys 2 years ago. He seems to be taking awhile to recover,but that's because he's not resting up enough for proper recovery. Stress plays a key factor in BP. Hang in there!

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

There's only one good thing about Bell's Palsy...

It makes it very clear what your good side is. ;)

Take care of yourself, Quasimodo.

SpeedyE, SuddenBraking and Stumpy like this.
  12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I had that shit on some level for 1-1.5 years and still have some lasting stroke face, especially when overly tired or once a year drunk. The best thing i did for mine was go to my chiropractor few times a week for a cold laser treatment on my neck and face as well as some massage and alignment. With the laser I could literally feel nerves and face coming back to life every time they treated it. I gained more there every 5 minutes than i did in 3 weeks of listening to the science sales man and his prescriptions. On top of getting the laser treatment i ate vitamin B6 and B12 like skittles which seemed to help with my dead side vision. Anti inflammatories are your friend too. The longer that nerve is swollen and cutting off function the longer it will take to get back if ever. I had it, hated, read everything i could find on it and have had it attempt to come back full swing. That shit sucks good luck.

Stumpy likes this.
  13. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Our dog had it. :)

14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

You were 'checked out' for a CVA (stroke)?
    It'll take days to many weeks to go away.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Sometimes it is a symptom of Lyme.

16. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine got it when he was only 16. After about a year it cleared up completely and you'd never know he had it. For what it's worth, Chris Walker (of British Superbike fame) had an episode in 2002. He never quite fully recovered and his face still shows signs of weakness on one side. Good luck man and I wish you a full recovery.

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, AKA The Mountain from Game of Thrones, has been battling it since March of 2017.

Seems like it varies on how long the condition lasts and how full of a recovery some people make.

britx303 likes this.
  18. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Having watched the show, the Mountain was suffering from something WAY worse than Bell's Palsy :eek:

HPPT likes this.
  19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep.Thats who I was referring to.Wasn't sure if anyone would know whom I was referencing.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I knew a few people who had it and all recovered to almost 100%. one or two had it come back.

One of them used to try and drink beers when he had it and it was piss your pants funny to watch it pour out the stroke face side.