1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential military pardons

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 50Joe, May 20, 2019.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Hmmm maybe but I have good friends whom both retired as full birds. The one was more a tech bird with flying ability. His wife was likely more political as she managed programs etc. Though both spent time in the desert also.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think that this is pretty accurate. Nathan always said after he made Major the politics when not deployed were a major factor in daily function. Once he made light colonel and then bird, the politics were unavoidable.

He considered going for GO but about 2 seconds later realized he's a grunt at heart and always will be and not built for the politics of it.

And in 30 years and multiple assignments, two years at the Pentagon with the Joint Chiefs was the biggest nutroll he had to endure.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They fight each other for the same reason they fight us. If you don't believe and worship EXACTLY the same way they do, you're an infidel and need to be killed.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah the political involves the wives for sure. All part of the rank game at that level. Grandpa had to retire since he didn't make full bird after 2 or 3 shots at it, he tended to piss off the higher ups a bit and didn't play the political game properly. Grandma did what she could but between his drinking and being a normal Clarke male she couldn't overcome it :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They were all fighting before Islam existed. That's just the latest half assed "reason". It's only been around since what mid 6th century? They've been fighting each other since way before BBJ and probably even before the OT was written since it covers a lot of tribal stuff.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So was everyone else

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep and the industrial revolution and economic booms changed that. Since their boom is oil and that is controlled by just a couple of the tribes all the others are left fighting amongst each other for scraps. Not the same as the northern hemisphere. Also they haven't had the white man come in and wipe out a continent full of people with war and disease, at least not yet.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

No both were full birds, she actually out ranked him :Pop: She has moved on to program manager type stuff and he is finishing an EE degree since retirement.

He was extremely well like by those under him, I think she scared the !@#@! out of them, if they were sane.

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

The Colonels I know, which are many, are all political creatures of varying degrees. The CMSAF and Chief of Staff are almost purely political positions. The AFSOC Colonel I now is the least political, but still quite so.

Anecdotal but I thought I would share.

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I don't know the different terminologies for the different branches, but you have "staff" officers that are desk jockies that are forced into the political arena by the nature of our government. You have "line" officers that are the BAMF's that are commanding the grunts. Then there's the Air Force officers bitching that the AC broken :p

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What I'm talking about is they all have to play politics, even if it's just branch politics, to a large extent to get that far. You can't make it to full bird or further without being able to play the game or have REALLY good friends higher up - but isn't that politics too? :D

RRP likes this.
  12. Fonda Dix

Yep.

Even the 2nd Lt's fresh out of the Academy are highly political. NCO's are as well.

13. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Hey! My AC is broken and I'm waiting on the AF to fix It!!

I'm also in Qatar and an office that is 95 degrees while in uniform sucks...:flag:

14. 600 dbl are

:crackup:

Here's hoping you are in BDU's (or whatever they call it now) and not dress uniform :beer:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lightweight pants and a short sleeve shirt? :D

16. Fonda Dix

If he's Air Force and deployed he is in the extremely awesome OCPs (even with the spice brown insignia).

17. 600 dbl are

Dress uniforms were always uncomfortable as hell if you had any type of muscle mass.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I bet. Hell, I have problems finding shirts to fit my shoulders even if they fit my gut. Usually wind up going for a size bigger than I really need.

19. 600 dbl are

I had a Drill Sergeant that was your stereo typical, movie portrayed Drill Sergeant. He was about 5'8" and probably a solid 230lbs of muscle and no neck. He always had the look of "I'm going to kill a private today". At graduation he had the look of wanting to kill everyone in attendance.

20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I'm in the ACU OCP (Army Combat Uniform Operational Combat Pattern)...looks like the Multicam pattern.

It is super toasty, but our dress uniform would kill me before lunch. I have been able to conduct a test of all sweat glands...and they are wide open :crackup: