1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hip dysplasia in dogs

Discussion in 'General' started by 600 dbl are, May 20, 2019.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Thank you for the support.

JD had a tumor in his belly that metastasized to his heart and lungs. The vet believed it infiltrated his spinal column (couldn't tell from x-rays) as well. The vet explained that basically he was unaware of what his back legs were doing. Normally if you put the paw upside down the dog will move it back to the correct position. JD was not doing that. At 14 years he gave us a very good life.

2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry Erik. Our thoughts are with you and the Mrs.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I went thru the same with a yellow lab. He got really stiff, could hardly walk, he'd fall over in the yard and couldn't get up, lay there and whine. It sucked but it was time.

4. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

I keep seeing these threads and they make me want to cry. Best wishes.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm sorry. That's similar to what happened with my lab except it was a tumor in her bladder that had expanded to the spinal column.

6. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

The Glucosomine from the Vet is $$,, go to Tractor Supply and get the Horse shit, dose accordingly.
    Ask the Vet for Tramadol script, that will keep him pain free yet functional.. Try some red meat or cooked meat with his food.
    He will eventually compensate, as much as possible. At 14 he's had a good run bro...

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We've been doing the Cosequin DS plus MSM for Duncan just cuz he's huge and gangly and Yogi after his knee issues. We usually just grab it from Costco as it's as cheap there as anywhere.

On the Tractor Supply thing - just found out that should be everyones go to for the kennel cough (Bordatella) vaccine. $8.50 from them.

8. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

My dog Oscar is going through exactly what you does is - my vet called it spinal degeneration. He has lost a ton of muscle mass in his back-end, his front still seems to be hanging in there. He has good days and bad days, the bad days are awful! He is taking an anti-inflammatory, but the vet said there is really nothing else he can do. We tried some acupuncture which didn't seem to make much of a difference, unfortunately I think the end is near for him.

Best luck with your dog, I am sure there is a heaven for all of the wonderful dogs out there!!

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

RIP, JD :(