1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 12, 2019.

1. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Correct: You used to be able...
    Incorrect / Gorillanese: You used to could:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I listened to a podcast with the writer yesterday. I’ve been wanting to watch this but no HBO. After the podcast and hearing how he went about it, I will be spending a few dollars to get HBO to watch this.

As far as the accents. The writer said he thought about having them do Russian accents but then said that actors will start to act the accents and he felt he wanted the story to come through.

3. "You used to could", meaning "In the past you were able to".

I don't know if it is grammatically correct, but I knew whatinthefuck I meant. :moon:

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  4. I always see on Amazon Prime where they have the "start your free 7-day trial of HBO" bullshit. I might wait until all of the episodes are done, then binge watch all of them during my free trial, then cancel it. :D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wait, what???? You don't use that term in P'cola? I thought that was a good southern town, now I'm sad.

mastermind and Gorilla George like this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's from Jeff Foxworthy.

7. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

Watched ep 3 last night. I know it’s TV but damn those hospital scenes were cringeworthy, reminiscent of “sloth”from Seven.

I did a lot of fact checking (at lest what is published) against the film and so far very impressed with the accuracy and sequence of events. I’m sure some details are too graphic and we’ll never know. Some of the actors are even dead ringers for the characters.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way older than him even. One of the many country type sayings my Grandfather used (he grew up literally on a hill in West by God Virginia).

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sorry, I didn't mean that he invented it. He talked about it in his standup. The next part was even better. Something like "if you give me enough time, I just might could again."

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I wish they'd hurry up and get on with it. The stuff we're using now is archaic. There's absolutely no reason we can't utilize all that "spent" fuel up in new, safe reactors and provide extremely cheap energy to everybody.

11. I can think of A LOT of reasons. :D

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not so much for cars, but for everything else.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I figured but like talking about my Grandpa :D

If I didn't know better I'd say a lot of Foxworthys act came directly from grandpa - his version of "hetonouttaheah" (get on out of here) is so spot on what I heard my grandpa yell at neighborhood dogs that it's actually creepy.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Like what?....Every major industry (even the minor ones too) have their inherent risks. The airlines, autos, chemical, oil all have had their trials and tribulations. We learn and move on. It's either that or go back to the caves. The US nuclear industry has a spectacular safety record given its size, age and complexity. The next generation of nuclear power (when ever that happens) will also go through a learning curve. I am confident it will not be very steep but also that it won't be flat.
    Chernobyl was an unfortunate lesson. The Russians knew that graphite moderated reactors had safety issues. Under certain conditions they can have positive reactivity coeffecients...this can lead to a run away reaction. They knew about this but chose to ignore it for economic reasons and got bit in the ass because of it. Couple their design weakness with operator error and there you go. We learned to step up our game when ever we needed to do any special or unusual test. As a result of Chernobyl any special test required exhaustive analysis, briefings, contingency plans and executive approvals.

15. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

"They knew about this but chose to ignore it for economic reasons..."

There is the reason for all the regulations that some feel are too stringent. Given the opportunity to cut costs and maximize earnings, there's isn't an industry out there that won't eventually take the risk. Nuclear provides the biggest consequence for that decision.

And I'll second the comment on those hospital scenes.

16. Your post/comments have nothing to do with the comment in my post, or my reasons for not wanting Nuclear energy to become popular.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

THIS

And I think the Navy's nuclear safety record is even MORE impressive given the parameters under which they have to operate. (size/mobility/proximity to the people tank/etc, etc.)

18. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I've spent the last 9 months at Comanche Peak rebuilding and swapping both generators, and we've all been loving the show and talking about it.

19. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

This is the only thing that bothers me with the show so far. When you have the woman the chief nuclear physicist and the man who takes his life in the very first episode 2 years later both not really understanding how, in any case, that the rbmk could cause a steam hammer explosion, by the third episode at least, it makes it seem like neither of them had understanding or were acknowledging the known safety issues / higher risk these units operated under

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Want to read up on something interesting? Check out the Wigner effect. Neutron radiation of graphite can cause it to store energy, kind of like a 3 dimensional spring. If shocked, the crystal structure releases that energy all at once. With no where to go that energy converts to heat and the graphite can catch fire. Weird.