1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hip dysplasia in dogs

Discussion in 'General' started by 600 dbl are, May 20, 2019.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Last week we had to put our 13 year old Boykin Spaniel down due to a splenetic tumor. The decision, while gut wrenching was very simple. She had stopped eating and drinking, didn't want to move and was no longer herself.

We also have a 14 year old Golden. Over the past several weeks he has had difficulty getting up stairs (there's 3 steps that lead out to the back yard). He is now having issues getting up on the hardwood floors. We put rugs out for him so he can have traction but refuses to lay on them. I picked up a set of traction boots for him this afternoon in hopes this will help his mobility. I tried building a ramp for him over the weekend but the slope was still too much for him to handle. I would need to build it out some 20 feet which I don't have room for.

He is happy to see us, wags his tail, perks up the hole 9 yards. He rolls around on me when I lay on the floor with him as well. He has been taking in less food but he is still drinking which I know is a good sign. What I don't know is how much pain he is in, if any at all. I don't mind having to carry him up and down the stairs, or helping him up when he seams to struggle. I just don't want to hold onto him for selfish reasons while he is laying around potentially suffering.

Since the beeb is all knowing and all powerful, I am hoping someone has been in a similar situation and give some insight/advice.

TYIA,

Erik

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Traction boots, or better, the rubber stuff you glue to their pads (I have a kit I bought for my lab that you’re welcome to).

Also look into the various supplements. Mine always did well on tart cherry chews from tractor supply, and also CBD oil.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You can give Metacam a try. It is a liquid similar to ibuprofen for human(never give a dog ibuprofen though!). I keep it on hand for Cooper when his elbows hurt him. I'd also look into cbd oil too. Either way, it is a matter of keeping him comfortable for as long as possible.

4. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

CBD oil and glucosamine supplements.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They also make these really cool harnesses with grab handles so you can help your buddy stand up and get around when necessary.

https://helpemup.com/

sharkattack likes this.
  6. 600 dbl are

Thank you. We have the adhesive pads now but they only last a couple of days. I picked up some boots that have the rubber soles and ankle straps to give that a try.

I looked at something similar when I was looking at the dog wheel chairs. That is probably a million times easier on him than me lifting him up.

We have him going to the vet on Friday so I will ask her about this. My only concern right now is how much pain he is in.

7. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

8. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

And I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. Mine is getting up there and I think about these issues all the time.
    He is on what I posted above and his xrays at 2 year showed he will have hip issues eventually. So far no signs other than the xray and he is 7.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Ask your vet about an FHO.

10. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I have something similar for my Golden; I think mine is made by Orvis.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

@Orvis ?

12. sharkattack

13. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I’ve got 2 Goldens... Emmitt is 13 and is exactly as you described. Troy is 12 and a little more active than his older brother, but showing similar signs. We tried a couple supplements on both of them (glucosamine products) but have always ended up with gastrointestinal issues that were less than desirable (ie. they shat all over the house - like that industrial liquid stuff).

Troy will still run after a ball, but now he’s good for 2 or 3 fetches - instead of 20 or 30 - before he takes his ball and lies down. Emmitt just don’t give a fart about anything. He just lies around, groans every now and again, barks at the wind, and can’t get off the hardwoods. They both used to love heading to camp, and would jump into the truck when they knew it was time to go. Now I have to pick them both up and in.

I think they’re both just coming to terms with their old age, but Emmitt seems to be struggling more and more. I’d love to introduce some supplements into their diets, but don’t want to be mopping up the floors every day.

Can you teach a dog how to do bong hits???

Best wishes to you and your pup, OP.

14. 600 dbl are

Yesterday was bad, but he could walk some. Today he could barely stand on his own. Fell down twice in the yard, has barely moved all day. Tried the grip boots with him and it just seems his back legs can't take the weight. We are trying to get him to the vet in the morning. He still wags his tail at me, he still nudges me when I lay next to him but he looks miserable when he just lays by himself. He doesn't move his back legs any more to the "scratch spot". It looks like his body is giving out on him even though his mind has some fight left in him. We put his sister down less than two weeks ago, I'm hoping the vet can do something.

This sucks.

15. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Prayers for you and yours.

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

This is my worst nightmare. I’ve got an almost 14 yo Golden. He’s starting to really show his age and I’m dreading this time more than anything in life.

17. sharkattack

I’veentioned this before, but it bears repeating. If you’re thinking it’s time to send your dog across that rainbow bridge, please consider contacting Lap of Love (www.lapoflove.com) and having the procedure done at home.
    Your dog will be surrounded by loved ones, on their favorite blanket/bed, munching on tresses, etc. when the time comes to say goodbye.
    It’s a million times better than a cold, clinical setting of a vets office. Unfortunately, Lap of Love will be at our house this Friday....

dobr24 likes this.
  18. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Sorry to hear, having both decline this close is heartbreaking. We lost both of ours within a few months last year, Blue to old age so knew it was coming. Our second, Molly, went from the same condition your Spaniel had, spleenic mass. She was only 3 years old, i'll never get over that one. This is t IMG_20190521_060015.jpg IMG_20190521_060041.jpg he best product we've found.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

He might be depressed from losing his pack mate. My old girl gave up after my Cane Corso died unexpectedly. She went two weeks, almost to the minute, after he did. Maybe take him to do something fun, swimming or something. That'll be really easy on his body and some really good exercise.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

My current lab is 14 and is getting there too, he's been on meloxicam for about a year. We still walk every night but it's a lot slower. My last lab got to the point where yours is now. Just laid in the yard and couldn't walk more than about 40 feet, that's when I knew it was time, the current lab is getting closer all the time.