1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Loading Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, May 20, 2019.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I'm wrestling common sense on this one. In a 5x10 enclosed single axle, I'm thinking about putting the bike right of center with everything else (toolbox, generator,ez up, portable Stickboy Shrine) left of center. The balance should be close. Maybe?

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd be more concerned about front to back rather than side to side really. Balance it as best you can and put a little extra weight on the front so it tracks well, too much weight on the back is going to make the trailer sway, and that puts vehicles on their roofs.

Phl218, K51000, ducnut and 1 other person like this.
  3. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Spitz is right. Worry more about front to back. I've had my racebike on one side of a 4x8 trailer a number of times by itself without any issues. In the enclosed its on the right, moped on the left. Tool box, gas cans, canopy on the left also. Bikes are sitting so the motor is just in front of the axle.

4. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

The bike will be where is it usually rides over the axle. I hadn't thought about the "stuff" relative to front/ back. Thanks!

5. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Wait, What? Really?

6. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

? All of the other stuff will be under 150 pounds so I'm good on any bridge or weight laws. I don't understand your question.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Rule of thumb for balance front to back is 10% of the weight should go onto the hitch/tow vehicle.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

load distribution will be pretty hard to screw up with only a 5x10 .. ya need to be more concerned with keeping good tires on the trailer, and ensuring your axle maint. is up to date (greasing bearings, checking the cotter pin is secure ). Unreal how many people ignore this.

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Like Melk says, I put on new tires every 2 years wether they look good or not. I've only had one blowout on the single axle and it was a non event really, especially since if I'm going over 100 miles I throw the floor jack in there now. It's come in handy many times, mostly using the handle as a huge breaker bar at the track. :)

10. Now that I think about it, ive had mine loaded where damn near everything was on the left side, and didn't have any issues.

4 bikes, 2 up front (or about 3/4 of the way up front, the cabinets are in the very front), with one against the left side wall, and one basically in the center. Then 2 in the back, directly behind those. The one in the center in the back was The Grom, so that put even more of the load on the left side.

Then the spare wheels and tires are in front of the bikes, all stacked up on the left side wall. The only thing on the right side (front) was the Polaris ATV. Then in the back was all the stands, stools, bullshit like that.

There was definitely more weight in front, but probably 70-80% of the weight was left-of-center, and it was fine.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Leftist

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. You know me. :D

13. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Could have balanced it out with several cases of water.