1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Hitches on Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Prospect, May 18, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, driving in traffic so low to the ground starts to annoy the heck out of me... especially after driving a long time in the truck.

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t feel safe with my head at a Superduty’s bumper height. A semi-truck is where it’s at. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What did you do with my Bacon anyway? Now you have the Jag I expected it to show in my driveway :D

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Totally agree. Even the Tahoe felt funny taking it to races the last two weekends after driving the RV so much.

ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  5. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Sounds like me. I tow a 5x8 enclosed with my Ford Fusion. I'm going over the Sierras and climbing almost 8000ft had me worried so I installed an auxiliary cooler for the way up and a better set of brake pads for the way down. Fully loaded is about 2000lbs and I cruise at ~70mph with no issues.

6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My Mazda6 came from the factory with 4 holes in the rear unibody of the car structure. Backed it up on a set of car ramps and installed a 1 1/4" receiver hitch in my garage in less than an hour with some help from a friend. I mainly use the hitch to haul my handcycle on a hitch mounted bike rack but I have towed my FZ07 behind it a few times. Other than a drop in fuel mileage from the 30's to 20's I hardly notice it's back there.

Metalhead and Prospect like this.
  7. :D

I just traded it in.

The original plan was to hand it over to the wife. But then she got the job in CPH and has no need for it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well that sucks, I wanted you to be bored and just give it away :D

What's a CPH?

9. Haha. I don't know if I would ever be THAT bored. :D

I tried to justify keeping it, but couldn't. No sense in having two of the exact same type vehicle.

Copenhagen. She took a job at headquarters.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool for her, you moving there?

11. It is highly possible. At this point the ball is in their court. They have offered me a position there twice, and both times I turned it down because I didn't like the package. At some point they will either make it attractive enough, or ill get bored and accept it as is. Or we might go a completely different route and both move to Houston, or Perth, or Rio. I am really not sure. I am keeping my options open for now.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I would suggest against Rio. Sounds tempting but it isnt.

For the OP, I tow a open trailer on a VW Golf, hitch installed by Uhaul a few years back, never had an issue.
    Before that I had Uhaul install a hitch on a Acural TL and towed 2 bikes with no issues either.

Local road are pretty much flat, but transmission and brakes do just fine.

14. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Seriously.

Made her take the first two because I was driving. . .I took the last one. . .

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG
    IMG_8484.JPG

Prospect likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

that's my hood

towing image over here (USA) is way off. but so are driving skills. Germany introduced driver's license requirements for towing. as in, you don't have the license, you don't tow.

and the dutch tow everything across the alps, with Passats, Jettas, etc.
    it's not that hard.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. I posted a photo like that on the beeb a number of years ago. The big diesel crowd was sure I’d photoshopped it :)

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

You must be new here.... :)

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

LOL, no, i have a (half ton) diesel truck myself. TOTALLY NEED IT

19. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

As she's so fond of telling me. . .:D (and your hood is my kind of "factory town":bow:).

Over a year and a thousand Euros just to get a license to drive. . .but the proof is in the pudding - when I landed and she picked me up, we got the rental and withing 15 mins she was driving 130mph and having a conversation with me. . .still think it's a German conspiracy in how they engineer cupholders as a special "FU" to the rest of the world and their desire to eat and drink while they drive.

That being said, I'm pretty confident the angriest I get in my life is driving in the US right after driving in Germany.

Oh yeah - the last part about the Dutch made me laugh - imagine a German sincerely making fun of how guttural the Dutch language is. . .and then spending the next five minutes trying to convince me that I should be taking her seriously instead of laughing at the statement. . .:D

Phl218 likes this.