1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Hitches on Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Prospect, May 18, 2019.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

They may not even offer a class 3 for that car, not enough vehicle to handle it.

CRA_Fizzer and ducnut like this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...30 or so years ago someone showed at the GNF pulling their race bike with a Gold Wing.

Once a Wanker.. and pfhenry like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, he also did that to Rockingham once and crashed breaking a collar bone or the like... Oops!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. He should have had a giant diesel.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

6. :stupid:

That would be my concern.

It doesn't take much effort to get/keep something rolling. I can move my big enclosed trailer by hand (flat ground, if empty). We've all seen the videos of the truck pulling the airplane, or strongman competitions where they pull the Semi with a rope.

But stopping it is a whole 'nother story. Then there is chassis stability when taking turns, or in high wind.

If it is just a little 6x10 open trailer, it won't be big deal. But if i was adding a towing system to a vehicle that wasn't necessarily designed for it, and planned on pulling an enclosed trailer, I would be damn sure to include trailer brakes. Let the trailer be responsible for stopping itself (or 80-90% of it).

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I towed an enclosed 5x8 trailer for a couple of years with an Accord 2dr V6 with a manual transmission, it worked great. The only thing I would be a little worried about would be transmission temp on hills in a sedan. Most cars have an OBD transmission temp output, that IMO would be a good idea monitoring with a cheap scanner, or just add an extra transmission cooler.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I tow two dirtbikes on the back of a diesel Jetta wagon using a 250 lbs. Holsclaw trailer. Brakes aren’t a concern, because Autobahn - but the rear springs started to hate the extra load. It’s beginning to sag a little too much. In my case, the European variant has a tow package option; heavier springs and a built-in hitch. Found the part number for the springs and have them on order. Some say the ride only becomes slightly harsh, others have said no difference.

Anyway, brakes aside, you may way to consider springs. If you’re cheap, the rubber spring inserts you find at the local auto shop will do the trick, just be sure to remove them when you’re not towing.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I had a similar issue with my Passat and those hard rubber inserts that go inside the springs solved that problem. Would sag at 2K pounds before and didn’t after.

I didn’t take them out, though - just had the rear up a touch higher when driving normally.

10. joec

joec brace yourself

I had one on the girls sl2 before I got my truck..H pulling the cb350 on a hf trailer. Hey, I needed to get to loudon! I rolled into the track and of course everyone gave me shit about it until I mentioned I still got 32mpg. Worked great for me.

11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

<—— Towed 2 N250’s on an open trailer with a Fiat 500

rafa, BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Because Autobahn???
    What does that have to do with brakes when the car makes 80hp and wont run over 100mph?:Poke:

Springs shouldnt be a issue on a Avalon, the 200lbs of tongue weight is nothing for it.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. :crackup:

14. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Jetta vr6, 6speed... 5x8 open trailer 2 bikes and all the gear for an entire race weekend. Never a bit of problems with this set up. Drive all over the southeast Nola to Vir, living in Knoxville, so always had hills to climb and descend. Had this car as a tow vehicle for 6 seasons, one set of front brake pads, never had any clutch issues.

It was a "drill through the spare tire well/frame bolt on one" side set up...id check for tightness once a season on the bolts.

Attached Files:

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

If you're not up to installing it yourself, go to someplace that sells a lot of trailers, either RV or cargo. Buy from them and discuss the install wit the person who will be actually doing the work. Ask him to use Lock-tite.

16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It’s a German car, for sauerkraut highways and shit. The OE brake rotors are bigger than most American SUVs.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

ditto on towing with a TDI Jetta. I pulled two bikes to CO from GA a couple of years ago with no issues. Once I got over 10k' and got in some traffic in some little city, I had some issues on hills with the clutch, but anywhere else it was money. It was nice to get 30+mpg across the plains and still run 80mph. Light trailer (kendon) and a 450# and 250# bike. car full of gear for a week or two. smaller hitch but used a 2" ball on the trailer.

I was pulling the same trailer yesterday with my 950 on it with my Touareg and it doesn't even know it's there. 90+mph is easy, and with the air suspension it levels out regardless of what I put behind it. :)

ducnut likes this.
  18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Uhaul hitch on the 3000GT. Pulled two 600cc bikes around on a modified uhaul trailer. No issues. Got a ton of looks on the highway.

Prospect likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

He asked for a sedan, :Poke: so the adequate reasonable answer would be PORSCHE Panamera: 8800lbs tow rating ;)

Prospect and baconologist like this.
  20. I can't make myself like them. Ive driven a couple of different ones (loaners when I dropped Bacon off for servicing). I hate how they are so low to the ground. The seat feels like my ass is about to scrap the pavement.