1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much gas is left in your tank?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, May 15, 2019.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So much this.

Even now, there are times when a family issue comes up and I pause waiting for ""the grownups"" to step in & tell us what we're going to do.

Then I realize, I AM ""THE GROWNUPS"".

baconologist likes this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You intentionally trying to shorten it ? That sounds a little dangerous and not a pleasant way to go. :eek:

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sorry for your loss Craig. Hang in there man.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I pity the foo coming to ME for wisdom.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

So does everyone else

jrsamples and R Acree like this.
  6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I've bee trying to shorten it since I bought a brand new purple/ blk gsxr when I was 17

7. Banditracer

Bikes are one thing but salt water crocs are a whole nother level. :crackup:

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Men...it’s kindof expected from a racer to turn it up a notch.

9. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Dad died in '90 @ 57 years of lung cancer (F*CK CANCER), almost 2 months after diagnosis. I was 31, it bothered me but life went on.

A friend died of liver cancer about 2 years ago, 54 years of age (F*CK CANCER). It bothered me quite a bit and I started looking at making changes in my life.

In Jan., my cousin who was 3 weeks younger than me died 2 weeks short of his 60th. At 39, he had an aneurysm burst in his brain, was in a nursing home since then. It always bothered me how f@cked up his life had turned out. Wife left him with his infant son who he never had the opportunity to have a relationship with. This one has really messed with my head, making me reevaluate a lot of where I am/where I want to be. Makes you wonder where the hell 30 years went.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

^^^ Damn that is some sobering stuff. Not sure what I would do if that happened to me... my poor wife.

11. Banditracer

Did your cousin have any quality of life or would he honestly have been happier to have died when it happened ? I don't want to spend my last years stuck in a home with no life waiting to die, friends father went thru that a couple years ago. Wife stuck him in a home because she didn't want to take care of him, the last couple times my friend saw him his dad told him he wanted to go, no reason to live, he was done.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Condolences on your dad as it sounds bad. I recently lost my dad and while I was fortunate to have decades of quality time (we road bikes to the Cherohala to view the eclipse a few months before we lost him for example). But at the funeral I was stunned by how many people say he changed or saved their life. These were casual conversations also not eulogy type stuff. Personally if you impact the world every day you can as he did then their is no need for an end game. Enjoy life, help others, be kind and be honest. Good luck and I hope you can be some shine back into your dad's life.

jrsamples and beac83 like this.
  13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Well, when you have a question, bounce it off of the beeb. That's why I started this thread, take from the experiences of others in order to decide what is next. An attempt to be deliberate in how I live the rest of the life, whatever that is. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. Without a plan, I know that I will just keep on working until I kick the bucket. A buddy turned 55 yesterday, UPS driver. Said he's out in 2 years, going to move to Banner Elk and just manage his rental properties. Sounds kinda boring to me.

My dad and uncle Earl were lifelong buddies. Partied a lot. But lived quite differently. My dad, the more responsible one, and Earl lived pretty close to the edge.

Uncle Earl and Dad about to start the party in '62
    [​IMG]

Uncle Earl, the one that turned me on to the addiction of the evil beast
    [​IMG]

YamahaRick likes this.
  14. Captain Morgan

I did some really stupud things when the 97 gsxr srad came out and after getting a dui at 17 the most logical thing in my head was buy a bike because if you own it , no insurance. Drove that for a year, That was the start, stupid continues

15. Captain Morgan

Glad you came on here, kind of crazy but this place has good guys that look out for each other. As with the assholes but got to love them. Fuck off

16. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

He never complained to me. He was a devout Catholic and knew God had a plan for him even though he didn't know what that plan might be. I've never had that deep of belief and would never have been able to live like that. Being in the nursing home on a combination of SS and Medicare, he couldn't own anything but a cheap, basic computer with no internet connection and clothing. Visiting was hard, seeing him like that.

If I ever get down about the shit that comes around in life, I will always think of how shitty he had it all of those years. I doubt I will ever experience anything that bad.

17. Can you pet them and play with them?

18. I think that is one of the good things about my job. I kinda get it out of the way all at once, then I have a month to do whateverinthehell I want.

Ive known lots of people that have "normal" jobs, and they can't understand how i can be gone for a month at a time. At the same time, i can't understand their life.

They wake up about 5am, hurry and drink coffee, shower, eat, get dressed, and get on the road to fight traffic to be at the office on time. Get off work at 5 and fight traffic again to get home. Then eat, hang out for a couple of hours, then sleep and do it all over again.

Saturday is spent running errands and fixing shit around the house, getting a haircut, moving the grass, etc. Basically catching up on what can't be done during the week. Then Sunday is spent sitting on the couch and watching sports/TV. That is the one day they have to themselves. The Monday comes and it starts all over again.

Whereas I go to work and work a month straight, then I go home and have a month to do what I want. My work life is basically the same as everyone elses. I get up and drink coffee, then workout, then go to the office (except I don't have to fight traffic). I get off work and do some cardio, then watch a movie or TV, and go to sleep.

The only real difference is that when I have to work, I am responsible for nothing but my job. Chefs handle the food, catering washes my clothes and cleans the room, etc. But on the other hand, I don't sleep with the wife every night. So there is a trade off.

At the end of the day, as long as someone is as happy as possible, that's what matters. What makes each person happy will vary. Some people cant imagine being gone, I cant imagine working all week every week.

Gino230 likes this.
  19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sure, once.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. Captain Morgan

I'm not sure what you are searching
    I'll let you know, went fishing the boca pialla bridge and a huge salty sitting underneath the mangroves