1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differential leak

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, May 14, 2019.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My RV decided to mark it's territory after coming out of storage, needless to say I'm not impressed. Diff cover is wet at the bottom, it was NOT leaking last year, and the storage company didn't complain about it marking up their space. My current guess is the vent assembly is plugged, caused it to build pressure on the drive home and then found the weakest place to escape? It's an 06 Ford E450 chassis, if I'm reading the tag correctly a Dana 70 rear axle. I did note the bottom cover bolt was not fully torqued compared to the rest, but I doubt that'll solve the issue on it's own.

I see Ford lists cover gaskets, I'm seeing signs sealant was used and many say to skip the gasket? What's the beeb-think on the topic?

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I've always used a gasket with a thin skin of good RTV (not blue or red) on both sides. I used Right Stuff.

By thin, I mean just enough to cover the gasket as thin as you can spread it.

I'm assuming the gasket is paper or composite, not reinforced rubber. Don't use sealer on those.

bored&stroked likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Better get on the frontside and make sure the pinion seal isn’t leaking.

If it is just the cover leaking, I’d do a dry gasket (Fel-Pro only) and torque bolts to 22ftlbs. I’ve yet to have one leak, this way. Double-check your manual for the correct gear oil requirement.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

JB Weld and a diaper.

Do it.

[​IMG]

TurboBlew and Kurlon like this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'll crawl under again tomorrow if the rain has retreated and check the pinion although I don't recall seeing any signs of leaking from that high up the pumpkin. If it is leaking, I'll send it to the shop for the job, I don't have a puller that'll work, or jacks/stands that'll lift that pig.

ducnut likes this.
  6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Is it rusty? They are stamped and not that thick and like to rot out (pin hole). Make sure of that first and foremost. You can do paper gasket or we use a product called "the right stuff" by itself. We use it for everything needing a sealant gasket, made by permatex. Paper gasket would probably be nicer for you though not needing a caulk gun tube half full laying around for nothing afterwards. If you do replace the cover most come with a new gasket FWIW.

For just using a sealant you'll want to put a good bead 3/8 inch or so around the perimeter and go around the INSIDE of the bolt holes, press the cover on and locate with two bolts and just tighten them down, there should be excess sealant squeezed out, wipe that clean around the perimeter and if you have time let it setup for a few hours before dumping oil in. We don't wait, we have other stuff to get done, never had any issues.

7. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Clear out vent hose, install a Lubelocker gasket and never think about it again.

8. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I've also heard good things about the Lubelocker gaskets and have one on my car.

9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

10. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I've used Lubelocker gaskets on front and rear difs of my last three trucks and my wife's Jeep. They see pretty hard work at times and I've never had an issue. This is with both OEM and aftermarket dif covers. You just want to make sure you get ALL of the previous gasket off prior to installing. Also, correct torque pattern and poundage is key. I assume that goes without saying though.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Pinion seal is fine, vent hose is intact, vent itself is just about plugged, but also slightly wet so it's been trying to breathe. At least now I've got both a symptom and likely cause.

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, probably due for a oil change anyway. Just throw a new gasket on it and GOOD gear oil and it will be fine. Whatever gasket is most conveiniant to get is fine. Aint nothing magical about a damn diif cover gasket.

crashman and TurboBlew like this.
  13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Good sir, I only buy Apple gaskets, clearly I'm a more highly evolved being than you. Now if you excuse me I have to go buy Apple oil and an Apple funnel with which to install it with.

turner38 and baconologist like this.
  14. A new RV is the only logical outcome.

bored&stroked, joec, Cannoli and 4 others like this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

any particular brand or type?

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Check vent.

+ 1 on Right stuff. Never leak again if applied correctly. Much better than gasket.

17. What this guy said, for once he’s right :) :)

18. Just a good name brand, Valvoline, Mobil, etc. synthetic of course.

turner38 and TurboBlew like this.
  19. I have those on my Jeep, worked as they should with both aftermarket and oem covers and I seem to be opening them up more than most due to breaking crap.

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

All of them

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.