1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

retirement and freight

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, May 15, 2019.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

No drop dead date, I'm retired. But those dates look good, at this point. Hopefully the pallets could get to Fife by the 6th. I won't be air freighting them to Anchorage until the 24th. I'll confirm with the shipper out of AK about when they get to WA.

2. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

We've used ABF for several moves where we loaded up the trailer ourselves, put the partition in, then off it goes. Can sometimes take a week or two to get there. Has worked out great for us and very reasonably priced.

K51000 likes this.
  3. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

So long, Ken, let me know if you are in Anchorage.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So....should we expect to see more of you around these parts?

5. kenessex

Thanks Jamie,
    We will be travelling through Fairbanks this trip, but I am sure we will be back through Anchorage in the future as we visit friends and family on the Kenai.
    Do you have any floatplane friends that want a hunting lodge in Galena? Our house would be great for that.

6. kenessex

I hope so.

7. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

XPO (formerly Conway) is a good option. They are everywhere.

8. kenessex

Well, here I am heading into retirement and planning on kicking back and waiting for the fun to start. Our oldest son, the cop, texted his mom to see if I was interested in a little business proposition. For fun and stress relief he has been tearing down old barns and has a stockpile of beams and barn boards. He doesn't like dealing with people very much in the sales sense, so he hasn't sold much and figured he can keep tearing down barns and I can sell the wood and we will split it.
    That being said, does anybody need any barn wood or beams? I can make you a good deal. It is pretty low quantity but very high quality as he likes to take things apart at the joints, not just saw things up. Maybe I should look at delivering if the customers are close to a racetrack.

9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Congratulations.

Here I am trying to figure out how to spend more time in Alaska! :D

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Congratulations Ken

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I know where there is a house. ;)

BigBird likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

and a truck

13. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Congratulations Ken. Hoping we'll get a chance to catch up at Road America this summer.

Craig

14. kenessex

Craig,
    I am planning on it and I'll bring your DT250. I doubt I will be racing, but maybe the SV650.

15. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

things in education can get pretty difficult, whether you are admin or staff, lately it seems to be getting more difficult. congrats on being done!

16. SteveThompson

Saw that coming :beer:

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How could you not?

SteveThompson likes this.
  18. SteveThompson

If the house was in Homer we'd have to talk.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No more pencils, no more books
    No more polar bears hungry looks

Fencer likes this.
  20. kenessex

Retirement is good. I announced my retirement on Tuesday and took the rest of the week off to get stuff done. I need to work a few days next week and we leave town forever on Saturday. I have packed up a bunch of plastic totes to put on a couple of pallets and get them to the airport to be shipped out to Anchorage and then on to the lower 48. I sold my truck, a bunch of furniture and household goods and we are doing the final negotiations on the house. They are paying cash with no appraisal or inspection. I started high and they lowballed me and we are ending up in the middle which is a break even for us based on what we paid and the upgrades we have done over the past 7 years.
    It is all just coming together for us, like it was meant to be, as I only had 10 days from announcing to leaving. This might be a world record.