1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota techs

Discussion in 'General' started by RM Racing, May 14, 2019.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Why did they change to a pleated insert filter for the newest 5.7 L Tundra powerplant? So messy. Me no likey.

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

I didn't like either but drain filter as long as you can and you minimize it. How almost all Toyotas are now. Think Tacoma 4 liter and 2.7 are not but most others are.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Supposedly to make a "lesser enviromental footprint" during an interview a few years back.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You're suppose to use the little plastic nipple they give you with the filter and then let that drain, rather than just letting it rip. I still do the latter, don't care, homie don't have time for that shit.

Im surprised you didn't mention the tin beer can they call a skid plate.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

2002 had skid plate. 2016 did not.

7. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Skid plate comes with the TRD offroad package. It is kind of a joke. Beer can thin for sure.

8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apples to oranges but after a Bambi decided to attempt suicide under the front of my Tacoma I sourced quite a few replacement parts myself and was shocked.. The factory supplied cookie sheet they quoted as "splash guard" was 269.00 vs the "TRD Factory skid-plate" price of 119.00.

Bruce likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

with pleated filters you can probably use an oil extractor through the dip stick. makes it so easy and clean.

10. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I prefer the cartridge type filter design, but I'll say the only ones I've ever changed were all facing upwards in the engine bay so they drain back into their own housing. Clean, no mess, easy peasy. To have one just put into place hanging down where a regular spin on usually goes is retarded.

11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Someone mentioned on the Tundra forum that Toyota wanted more control of the bypass spring pressure by using a housing. As opposed to inconsistencies between manufacturers. Who knows.

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  12. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I know the messy filter change is a major part of why Walmart is currently changing the oil in my Rav4. That and they charge barely more than it costs me to buy the oil and filter inside the store. Also, if they screw up and destroy my engine, they replace it instead of me.

13. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I had the first 2 changes done through Toyota care. Next change I climb under the truck and the skid plate is missing a bolt. Pull the housing and the metal tube the filter slides over is bent. Be careful because you never know who will screw your shit up. On a side note, I replaced the plastic housing with an aluminum one recommended by the forum guys. Toyota genuine part from Amazon for around $25, along with a filter wrench designed for it with notches to catch the tabs. You just have to transfer the metal tube and drain plug over to the new one. The plastic one seems sturdy enough but you never know.

14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I just changed mine yesterday morning, it's no different than any other filter, unscrew it until the seal lets loose and let it hang a run out for a few minutes, then take it off. If you try and whip it off in one motion, yea you're probably getting a shower.

15. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Two of our vehicles have spin-on filters that are mounted vertical. Even in this configuration oil runs all down the side when I loosen them. I just do what Spitz mentioned and let it drain for a bit before removing it all the way. I usually fill the new filter with oil before putting it on and this is where the vertical filter has an advantage.

16. Venom51

On the ones that have room to access the spin on filter I poke a hole in it with a drill bit to drain it before taking it off. It's less messy that way. Obviously can't do it on all of them. On the ones that I can't I use a big Ziploc back so that I can just drop all of it into the bag and limit the mess.

17. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I don't know if any of you guys do this, but on every oil change I do, 2 or 4 wheels, I lay down cardboard to avoid an oily garage floor.

BigBird likes this.
  18. I always have a roll of 2 mil plastic for any oil / fluid change and carboard on top. Easier than cleaning it off the floor.

Bruce likes this.
  19. Venom51

I've never really ever made a mess doing it but the garage floor is coated so any drips wipe right up. I do put my drain pan as close to the oil drain as possible to avoid splatter.

I did make a huge mess once not noticing that the old filter gasket didn't come off with the filter. Lots of kitty litter involved in that one.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

My floor is aspartic epoxy and I put a piece of cardboard down. I just don't like having to clean the filter housing, the spring, the center tube, and all that jazz when a spin on filter only requires a squirt of contact cleaner and a wipe after install. First World problems. Bitch bitch bitch.

Bruce likes this.