1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Roadracing's future is looking bright!

Discussion in 'General' started by bikerlifemate, May 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. six6two

six6two AWD

come on man... suberbikey technique?! sbk simply has a softer frame with less front end feel than a gp bike... it really is that simple.

we're raising a crop of kids on 300s that you gotta ride like the fucking harley cup bikes... which is only up to a certain squirmy point or else it's gonna bind up and spit you to the moon no matter how talented you are... ask ya boy danny eslick or any of those guys......

this conversation is getting technical, and you're spot on. flat track=also mandatory.

as of a few years ago there's not a rider in the gp paddock from moto 3 to MotoGP without a tracker. another tool that's now mandatory.

what i don't understand is how that ever left the americans road race curriculum for the most part..

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    bikerlifemate, Scott S. and zrx12man like this.
  2. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

High school and college sports athletes have a backup career for a reason. Coaches and Directors have to be realistic with their athletes all the time, especially in the overly popular sports. That doesn't mean the athlete will accept the backup career as an option. Sometimes its forced on them due to injury or some other limitations.
    There is a 'growing up' stage in a young athletes life that has to happen whether they like it or not. That usually comes around in the college years for the better athletes who have stayed in it to that level. Now there are differences in what sport that is out there. A road racing career to me is alot like Golf or a Tennis type of sport. The athletes in these sports can be there for a good portion of their high school or even 'college ' years because the families are able to afford it and get just enough sponsorship help due to the overall smaller amount of participation. But, there is a very small elite group that becomes a Pro. The rest just continue to have the sport as a hobby till they grow old or get out of it altogether.

Parents should not let their children think they are going to be in this small elite group: either by hard work or because they deserve it, that's why participation trophies are bad for young athletes, IMO. I have seen this ruin children who get in their 20's and cause great tragedy for both the athlete and the family. Chasing a dream is alright, but can be bad if that is the only one they have! No career is guaranteed to anyone.

Sports are great family time for while you can do it! The memories are wonderful and fun to look back on, but its not the end of the world to know when it's time to move on to a different career, whether in the same sport or totally different field. There are many fast young riders who have moved on and mostly because of the cost & lack of sponsorship/support. You can fool yourself for only so long, reality will show up eventually. Be honest with your athlete and/or yourself & enjoy every moment you can.

Gorilla George and Scott S. like this.
  3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Honestly to me one of the major differences between the CEV and everything else is the teams. Look at the big teams in Moto3 and Moto2 that we see the "next level talent" come through. Nearly all of them have feeder teams in the CEV from pre Moto3 up through Moto2. You have a conveyor belt of opportunity within the same system. And they are on the "same" bikes. The CEV Moto3 bike is similar enough the the Moto3 GP bike that the machinery is not a massive jump. And they are on some of the same tracks as well.

We don't have that in the states AT ALL. Not at the GP level or the SBK level. I realize this comes down to money, and the money comes down to culture and ROI. But imagine if Yosh or similar had a WSS300, a 600 SSP, and WSBK entry on the world stage and also had a MA Junior Cup, 600, and MA SBK program. And then on top of that raced three rounds that were also on the WSBK calendar as part of the MA schedule. Now imagine if we had the top 5 or 6 teams doing the same. How many opportunities would the boys from MA have then? That is what the CEV does for the GP paddock. And is another reason why you see the Spanish flag flying on the podium so often.

Pitmom42 likes this.
  4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Don't forget all that sponsorship money being brought with the euro riders as well...the are picked up early in their careers and that has a tremendous effect on who gets the opportunities.

stk0308 likes this.
  5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

This. Just have fun with it. I have seen families torn apart and bankrupted chasing pipe dreams.

Scott S. and Pitmom42 like this.
  6. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Intresting to see my son post up his passion here. Sounds just like my early posts from about 7 years ago on the same topic with the same responses. Passion passed down. There is merit there. Is there really a fork in the developmental piece where GP chassis bikes are a must to Moto GP? I still think so after the Moriwaki and RS125 he raced. It's taken quite some time to go fast on the production stuff. I had no love at all for the RC390 Cup bike and I'll say that my rider didn't either but undeniably the series was awesome in many ways.
    If a prior GP chassis kid who got in tune with the flexy slushy production bikes got back a GP chassis bike they might throw it right on its ear till they re-adapt. Butter knife to a scalpel.
    In any case good topic Nic and keep it real and pin it. I'll echo, keep it positive. It's like heading toward what your looking at. Sighting. We are still here and it's better!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

One of our fastest little kids is in Red Bull Rookies cup this year, Albeit the talent is stacked deep in that class.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Who?

9. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Tyler Scott

10. britx303

Ahhh Ive been a bit out of the loop a bit. He's a fast little bugger.

11. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure he was outside the 107% in the first race but they still let him race

12. bikerlifemate

bikerlifemate Active Member

And? He's 13, thrown in the deep end of too Europe talent who are 15-17.. First time on a Full Moto 3 as well. Plenty of time to learn.

SpeedWerks Racing and Scott S. like this.
  13. Scott S.

Sean Kelly was less than stellar his first year. By the end of year 2 he was a contender.. (you have to be invited back). Lookl at him now. Kids gonna be alright

14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

This is part of the problem...we have one and no one even knows it. Only reason I know who he is, is simply because I've raced with him. It's not even a blip on the radar of even local news.

Pitmom42 likes this.
  15. britx303

My daughter did flatrack practice sessions with him a few years back,so we first met him with that.FAST KID!!!But other than that, the USPS loses 3-4 of my issues of Roadracing World every year I have subscriptions,so I ended up not renewing after this became a constant problem. That was always my main source of keeping up to date with what's going on. Other than that,for me its been a major job change,juggling a new project house,sick wife,getting daughter through school etc.,that has left me with very little focus on other peoples racing when I can barely find the time to do my own lately. And I absolutely do agree,we all should have known that Tyler is where he is already...........and any other youngin' that progresses forward like this:beer:

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

It was same thing with Sean Kelly, very few peeps on the beeb even knew he was in RBRC... Btw, that’s a bit of a stretch saying Sean was a contender in his second season...

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Jon Wilkens likes this.
  17. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

The first I heard of him was last October when he was racing at the ROC at Daytona... The first I heard of the kid mentioned above was.... above, where the kid was mentioned... :crackup:... That's sad to see, because I like to think I keep up on racing pretty well and I had never heard of him before; and if I've never heard of him it's a guarantee that more casual fans have no idea who he is.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  18. Scott S.

19. Unless you were being sarcastic, that part can easily be argued.

The mental disabilities from football are caused by minor concussions that go undiagnosed. How many times does MM93 hit the ground on average per year? 40-50 times? How many times you reckon his head contacts the ground? One could also argue that if/when our heads hit the ground, it can be much harder than a football tackle. I did/have done both for years. I was never unconscious or had a major concussion from football. The same can't be said for track riding/racing.

Obviously I am on "your" side (our side) of this discussion. Im just sayin'...

six6two likes this.
  20. bikerlifemate

bikerlifemate Active Member

It has not left the US Roadracers toolbox at all. Pretty much all of us train on a flat track bike. We just don't usually don't post it that much. Heck, I flat Track 4 days a week. It's part of my daily training program.

six6two likes this.