1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metzeler Racetec RR CompK Slick - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Senna, Apr 3, 2019.

1. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Any tips on quantifying the comparison between Metzeler slicks and the Pirellis for track day riders? If the Metzeler offers 95% of the drive grip that the SC3 slick does, then I would gladly use the Metzelers for track days as they're almost 50% cheaper now. On the other hand, if they offer 75% of the grip and I tuck the front by surprise a hundred feet before the apex then the cost savings certainly are not worth it.

2. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

I emailed them about grip compared tp Pirelli slicks and tire pressures they offered absolutely no useful information, just said it's a trackday tire I was hoping for a little more feedback

3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Not that my opinion matters with only a few track days under my belt BUT I stand firm on two things:

Tires and Brakes.

We`re in a risky sport as is, why cheap out on tires to save $50-$60 bucks? Find a guy on craigslist with Dunlop/Pirelli takeoffs if you`re low on funds.

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No thanks. A fast rider can kill a new tire in a 20min session. If his race is 40min and he’s conserved it for distance, it’s garbage at the checkers. I’ll gladly pay the money for something I can reliably make last for my 140min of track riding for the day. And, I’ll take a new set of tires, a step down, over takeoffs and know exactly what I have from the start.

5. Circacee

Completely agree. I have new sets of Dunlops, not a takeoff fan however some guys run them and have zero issues.

6. cu260r6

I spent $2200 on tires for one bike for one weekend when I was racing and understand both the value of new tires and how quickly then can be trashed in a few laps at a good pace. Now that I'm just doing track days, I would love to find an alternative that offers 90% of the grip with 150% of the longevity and 50% the price. Takeoffs won't do that, but has anyone tried these Metzelers that can quantifiable compare them with race slicks (Pirelli or otherwise)?

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you are at a pace where you can burn through $2200 of tires in a weekend, you will know if they are working for you or not. Try a set out and if you don't like them move on to something else. The new Pirelli track day tire might work fine for you as well.

Note on the SC3 slick tire. I tried a set out at a track day at Pitt Race a couple years ago and burned through them way faster than the SC2. I am a slow end of advanced track day rider 2003 R1. They were spinning up big time coming up the hill and out of the last tight hairpin. I adjusted after a couple of sessions, but the damage to the tires was already done. I imagine on a less aggressive track surface or something with less torque than my 2003 R1, or now that I know I have to adjust my riding they could prove to last quite well, but I am not planning on finding out. I like my SC2 Superbike slicks even on my new to me SV650.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Those are the guys riding offline. :D

9. Circacee

Heard nothing but great reviews for the TD tires from guys at Buttonwillow. I`m a Dunlop guy but Pirelli might be my next choice.

10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

It's not "cheaping out". More expensive does not mean better for the intended purpose. You have to understand the application. A couple of seasons ago our team campaigned a Ninja 250 in a six race endurance series (3hrs long each). I looked at my tire choices: Pretty much Pirelli Supercorsas or Dunlop Alpha 13 SP's. I loved the Pirelli supercorsas that I used the previous year, but I could get 2 sets of A-13 takeoffs in good shape for just over $200.00 shipped. I thought about the application and what it might take to win and decided to try the A-13's with the thought that if they weren't good enough to beat the competition I would replace them with a fresh set of supercorsas. We were not slow. We won 5 out of 6 races, some by more than 8 laps and would likely have won the 6th race if I hadn't put bad gas in the bike. One set of A-13's lasted the entire season with the exception of a couple of hours on rains. For $100.00.
    Now, if I were sprint racing my tire choice would likely be different but you don't always need "the best" in order to do well or win.
    Having said that, if really good (expensive) tires give you more confidence to enjoy yourself on the racetrack, then that is your choice, but I'd also caution you to think about this: If you are not pushing "race" tires hard enough to keep the right amount of heat in them you might actually be worse off grip-wise than if you use something like these Racetecs that will provide better grip at a lower temperature than a pure race tire.

KevinT707, CR750 and ducnut like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ Man of sense and experience.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

13. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

I’m putting these on this weekend at a track that I know well enough to leave streaks. Will report back next week if I remember this thread

Senna likes this.
  14. cu260r6

How did they hold up?

FrancisA likes this.
  15. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

I’m buying 10 sets if that tells you anything. They are A group pace tires. Not only that but on an abrasive track in 95 degree heat, they looked barely used after 6 sessions. Honestly underrated and under spoken of tire. However I noticed when the psi was too low in the rear and I felt a muted response sometimes, like a cloud was under me when I was on the edge. When I bumped the rear 2-3 psi up to 26 cold rear and 30 cold front, it was good for me.

Would def recommend to anyone other than expert level sprint racers. They’re essentially a Pirelli superbike slick.

jd41 and Senna like this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ah no they are not, but it's a hell of a compliment

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    JBowen33 likes this.
  17. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Thought they were. What’s different about em?

18. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Interested to know how they compare the the new supercorsa TD.

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Did you run them with warmers? If not, how long did it take for you to build confidence/heat in the tires?

20. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Svracer22, These are in between 50/50 tires and all out $500 a set race slicks

Used warmers and was hot day. Did one feel lap and went all out after that. The profile is aggressive, it flips and tips very nicely

Senna likes this.