1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 12, 2019.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Does the site not also turn into the permanent storage site for all of the spent fuel rods (is that dry cask storage onsite?)

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

The NRC allows dry cask storage at sites that are deemed independent storage sites. If the reactor is decommissioned you may store them onsite making it a permanent ‘independent spent fuel storage site’.

We store ours at an independent site that is basically land owned by the company within spitting distance of the containment structure. Makes transporting much less risky and also allows for cost savings to inspect the storage casks routinely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Also helps when you can sue the DoE for all costs asaociated with isfsi.

4. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Russian politicians are some cold-hearted people. Different mindset on the value of life I guess.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

The Chernobyl podcast that Peter Sagal (of NPR) does is really good as well and adds even more context as well as content that they just didn't have room for in the show. I won't post the links but easily findable on You Tube and HBO's website.
    Was just able to watch episodes 1 and 2 today as I discovered I have HBO and I am hooked.

6. This was Soviet era, not Russia. Modern Russia is a different world.

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Back then, Ivan wanted everyone to speak Russian. In satellite states, proficiency in the language was mandatory in primary school. That, and if you wanted to get anywhere in Soviet life, you had to know the language. Given that the pant was funded by the Rondina, I bet all the manuals were in Russian, and consequently, everyone working there knew the language as well.

8. Yep. The RBMK reactors were designed in the Russian region of the Soviet Union.

9. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I have a feeling that the whole series is going to be that way. That's what happens when one tries to push the myth that there are no failures or mistakes possible.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

On a slightly related note you guys would probably all love "The Death of Stalin." It's a comedy.

Rebel635 and Past Glory like this.
  11. The Beer Hunter

Watched that on my way back from Europe last summer. Gave me a pretty good laugh

12. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

When it came to instilling fear, Danarys ain't got nothing on Stalin.

13. The Beer Hunter

Shes posting rookie numbers. Has a couple million to go.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Eventually all that spent fuel, currently in dry storage, will become valuable as new fuel. My guess is it will take at least 50 years until the resurgence of nuclear power occurs. Located in that fuel is still valuable U235 and Pu239 not to mention many other unique isotopes. So not really permanent but just long term. :clap:

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It makes me appreciate what Khrushchev had to deal with. I want to read a biography of Zhukov. Apparently he was like Rommel. Brilliant military man who wasn't a political figure. Respected by Eisenhower and Montgomery.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Those
    are steroid numbers.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ep. 3 is another :eek:

18. I saw a movie about it. Does this HBO series have zombies too?

19. Offtopic, but that sounds a lot like the oilfield...and most of it is knee-jerk reactions.

When there is an incident, people disregard the approximately 90,000 offshore wells that have been successfully drilled without a hiccup, and expect a complete paradigm shift because of that one incident. It is even worse when the nature of the incident is simply because someone fucked up. But they don't/can't say someone fucked up, they have to say "if we had this equipment and these sensors and did these tests and..and..and...then it wouldn't have happened".

End of the day, you used to could build a drilling rig for 500 million that was perfectly capable of doing what needed to be done. Now, that same rig will run you damn near 2 billion by the time it is all said and done...and will actually operate slower.

20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Is this correct? Completely off subject but I had to read it like 5 times...

stk0308 likes this.