1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIM MXL Strada - GSXR

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Steve750r, May 1, 2019.

1. Steve750r

Steve750r Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with these? I have the plug and play version on a k7k8 1k (that they don't make anymore) and have questions regarding the ect/water temp not registering any number and same with speed. Since its plug and play I figure shouldn't have to get an additional analog sensor and configure it to one of the 4 open free channels. Shouldnt these paramaters be transmitted through the factory ecu to the dash? The RPM, batt voltage, and gear indication all work. I see you can purchase an AIM GPS08 module that plugs into the CAN bus and uses gps for speed, but again if this is "plug and play" why would I need to go further with additional work. Any insight? Thanks much.

Steve

2. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I had the same issues with my Starlane dash with some exceptions. The harness from Starlane was plug and play with the exception of 2 wires that needed to be tapped to the coolant sensor and speed sensor. Once I tapped into the wires under the gas tank, coolant temp and speed started to register. Does your harness come with any one-off wires for this?

3. Steve750r

I have it sent into AIM right now they said the dash/logger works as it should, there is a problem with the harness. (I guess they are going to try and fix or find one) but they dont make them anymore they have been discontinued for years. It comes with 4 free channels that you can get cables for and then tap into things or buy their sensors. The gear indicator also wouldn't work but I was able to tap into that. AIM said I couldnt tap into the coolant temp sensor because of resistance and milivolts or some bs and need the OEM sensor so it can tell the fan when to activate. So my plan for that is I found a fitting at a speed performance shop tbat will accept my m12x1.5 OEM coolant sensor, and as 2 additional taps I can use which are 1/8 NPT and AIM sells a 1/8 NPT coolant sensor. And then configure that sensor to 1 of the 4 free channels. As for the speed they sell a GPS module that plugs into the back of the logger. Which is actually more accurate and easy to install. But that is another $300, coolant sensor $65, and will probably need an extension patch cable for $50. So plug and play is starting to sound like +$500 more. Hopefully AIM fixes the harness which looks brand new currently. Sorry for the long read

4. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

I would guess that water temp, speed and gear are transmitted to the dash over K-line. You should be able to check in your configuration file and see what the source is.

5. Steve750r

Unfortunately the older AiM MXL's dont communicate through the K line, like the newer MXL2 versions do. Which is nice. One single plug/wire to get all the ECU data lol.

Got it figured out though. Problem in harness, they can't fix anymore or have parts for anymore said AiM. Solution - buy gps module for speedometer, and their coolant temp sensor which I found a T fitting to use with my OEM from a truck offroad performance shop.

Figured that was what was going to happen, thought might get lucky and they could fix with ease. But that rarely happens in aftermarket parts