1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 12, 2019.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Got a link to this? I don't have HBO and am intrigued. There are lots of Chernobyl hits on YouTube, which one were you referring to?

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I've watched the first episode 3 times. The third time with sub titles. That really helped with the character names. Excellent show.

3. Well, since Chernobyl is in Ukraine, not Russia, that probably would be about as historically accurate as speaking English :)

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  4. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Do they tell "scary stories?" I dont work at our Nuclear facilities personally but i visit on occasion for different meetings and etc. Interested to hear other takes from different operators.

5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

They definitely tell you way more background information than you’d get anywhere else. Some of it can be very scary, but these types of events require so many things to go wrong and so much negligence that it’s very very rare. The scary part is the projection of what potential damage could happen if it went really really wrong. Keep in mind Chernobyl is in the middle of nowhere, a lot of others aren’t.

Safety culture today is a lot different than then, and has been for a long time. That being said, freak events like Fukushima can still happen without operator negligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Beer Hunter

We were going through a uprating at our BWR facility when Fukushima happened. Costs inflated an extra 200M or so as a direct result.

Last time i was out chatting with plant staff they were very pessimistic on the future of our plants. Personally i disagreee but, Whats the general consensus among the workers at your facility?

7. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

link? Lots of BS on there about it and want to make sure I'm watching the right one.

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Depends on which region of the Ukraine. There are Russian speaking regions.

9. nlzmo400r

Future of the plant totally depends on when licensing renewal is due and whether they're in a regulated or unregulated region. Our plant is licensed for another 30 years, it's not going anywhere. All of our northern plants are being sold/decommissioned because they're in unregulated regions and the little profit they produce isn't worth the risk. Once in place, nuclear is incredibly clean, efficient and cheap per kwhr (aside from the whole cask storage thing). The real problem is with all the regulation and necessary safety protocols it takes BILLIONS of dollars to build a new nuclear plant. During times like now, when natural gas is cheap and plentiful, it makes zero financial sense to attempt to build one. Keep in mind once you decommission a nuclear facility, there is no reopening it, ever.

That being said, I just hope that in 15 years when natural gas becomes expensive or it's decided fracking is bad again, that we have sufficient solar/wind etc in place to step up and provide power because nuclear facilities take a very long time to design and build.

10. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I enjoyed the first episode. Hoping it will be an entertaining series. Even though the true extent of the disaster was ignored/delayed for hours there were some very brave individuals that day and the days that followed who knew exactly what was happening and tried to help to the extent of knowing they were sacrificing their lives. Others were just feed lines of crap and paid the ultimate price.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  11. The Beer Hunter

We are in a regulated environment and are considering licenses re-renewals to meet emissions goals and etc. You must be with an entergy or exelon subsidiary?

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Episode 2 tonight at 9pm EST :beer:

Well again, its still not a documentary. Plus, its also produced and broadcast primarily to English speaking markets....of what benefit would it be to make it more difficult to consume for the majority of the viewership taking into consideration that it's not a documentary and its not using live footage or interviews etc?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ukraine has a lot of Russian-speaking people, though. At least, that would be a step in the right direction. Better than English, with or without Russian accents. :D

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

TMI will be shutting down before their license expires due to the market conditions. Sad for me to see since I have family that worked there and I lived for a time along the Susquehanna River with the cooling stacks in view from my deck.

15. It‘s a docudrama produced in the UK. I bet none of the actors even visited Ukraine. :)

16. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I'll get the links soon.

17. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Why not? What prevents them from putting in a new reactor and replacing whatever is removed during decommissioning?

18. six6two

six6two AWD

[COUGH]fukushima[/COUGH]

19. nlzmo400r

There’s a few types of possible decommissioning, but generally if a reactor is decommissioned, everything is removed and the core is filled with concrete and all fuel is put into dry cask storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The new episode tonight was just as chilling.

Past Glory and rd400racer like this.