1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on cardio machines - Airbikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by blkduc, May 10, 2019.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Other “bikes” keep coming up. If someone is looking at an airdyne, they don’t want a spin bike. The objectives are completely different. A more likely debate would be between it and a rower.

2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I’ve used the machines off and on for years when injured.
    It’s easy to to raise your heart rate on the bike but the movements and set up of the bike make high intensity work uncomfortable as hell for longer workouts.
    If you are doing HITT style training with them or substituting the bike temporarily for other cardio they can be useful in my experience.
    Using the bike compared to running or other cardio just sucks if you want to do extended workouts at a comparative heart rate.

I love cardio work and this is probably my least favorite for the benefits that I get from it.

It’s my actual experience with the bike. I love to pedal but it’s (airdyne machines) boring and uncomfortable for me.
    I wouldn't wish it on anyone as their only form of cardio (like a home gym).

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    shakazulu12 and michaelrc51 like this.
  3. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

I have been on a competitive masters rowing team for the last 12 years and at 61 years old have no physical problems doing track days while runner friends my age are getting their hips replaced. Concept 2 is the benchmark for ergometers and they have a very good web site with training help and on line races and vids showing proper technique. Rowing trains the exact same muscle group as riding in order of importance; legs, core and least important, arms. Rowing in a group with a coach is much easier than alone unless you have a specific plan for your workout. 45-60 minutes is a typical workout piece and usually done at about 10% slower than your fastest 2k pace. THE benchmark for all rowers is thier 2000 meter fastest pace. under 8.00 minutes is good shape for most men, I do 7.20 but have done 7.05 when I was young (52). A good college rower will be 6.00 or under. Try it, the first 1000 meters are easy!

4. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I hate the erg when I’m on it. 5’7” here so not really built for it but damn the workout and feeling when you’re done is the best.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So you’re talking about doing something like an hour on there at a moderate heartrate? Makes sense. I quit doing low intensity cardio years ago. I get the HR up a little walking the dogs or going for a bike ride, but if it’s a workout, it’s HIIT.

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Depends on what you call moderate, my hill climb bike ride had me between 145 and 155 for two hours last week. Lactate threshold for me is just below 155. You can easily do that or gov over quickly on a concept II rowing machine. If you're using it for a "CARDIO workout you aren't doing it for just a few minutes.

7. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

I love my Concept 2 rower, it kicks your ass!

But, the road bike on a smart trainer with a Zwift subscription is probably a better cardio alternative. Just for the simple fact that as long as you keep your cadence up it's a better and longer cardio workout.

8. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

My suggestion isn't a bike at all. Not saying bikes are bad; they can be fun and effective but I prefer to pedal outside on mountains for pedal cardio training.

Have you looked at rowers? Besides swimming, I'd suggest that rowing (correctly) is a pretty solid cardio workout. A used Concept2 will set you back about $800, but there are a LOT of ways to row to have very different workouts. We've used rowing as part of an AMRAP as well as part of a circuit and it does equal parts smoking people. Plus I think it actually helps warm up more total body than anything out there besides swimming.

And everybody likes a short distance sprint row contest after a good session in the gym for buying the first round next time you're all out.........

9. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Get a bike and go ride...it is great for the body and mind!!

michaelrc51 and ducnut like this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Good thing you didn't say swimming. That shit will work you out quick...sidestroke, backstroke and crawl.
    And it's virtually free!

JBraun likes this.
  11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Big fan of swimming but I suck at it.

Most of my swimming is done on top of a surfboard...

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sure. After you build the pool.

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

And maintain it.

JBraun likes this.
  14. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

What is this exercise y'all are speaking of?

15. fastfreddie

Big fan of surfing but I suck at it.
    Most of my surfing is done on top of a keyboard.
    :D

JBraun likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

...or walk, ride, drive to the nearest University or other public access swimming facility.

If you wanted your own pool, a lap pool would be no more expensive than a current racebike, with upkeep/maintenance being nowhere near that of the bike...and you can use it any time you want!

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If I walk or ride, that's my workout right there!

I tried to swim at the local YMCA pool once upon a time. In addition to the membership fees (it's the most expensive gym in town, not counting the crossfit nuts), scheduling for the lap pool is ridiculous.

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I go to the pool at the gym, have a couple that I can use with our membership that is included by my wife's employer. :D . Was doing about 12K yards per week till I started training on the bicycle for the Markleeville Death Ride in July.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

This rower fascination I'm reading in here and elsewhere is intriguing to me, never in a million yrs did I think you can get a great workout on that thing. I'm now wanting to try it.

20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I added one to my routine, in addition to a Schwinn spin bike, to change up my routine. To add variety to cardio work. I also added "battle ropes" as well as cardio sandbags. I get bored easily in my "home gym". I added other things to spice it up.

blkduc and XFBO like this.