1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on cardio machines - Airbikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by blkduc, May 10, 2019.

1. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

michaelrc51 and Newsshooter like this.
  2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Are you trying to make my point?
    The only proper way to use it is to keep your heart rate up and and there are way cheaper ways to do the same thing ... and end of the day it’s a bike. Its boring AF riding any stationary bike that’s why swift, Peleton, spin classes, etc are so popular they keep the person engaged.

It’s not a smart purchase by any stretch if its your single piece of cardio equipment.
    We are talking about a home gym here.

Ride safe,
    AAron

3. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

The OP is talking about a home gym not training for an MMA fight :crackup:

Ride safe,
    AAron

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

It's used for conditioning. In other words, it's one of the most effective ways to build outstanding endurance, hence why he asked about it for cardio. Again, kinda sounding like you've never actually used one. It's the only piece of cardio equipment I would have in my home gym. And I F***ing hate cardio. Intervals on that build massive endurance and stamina at a super high level.

5. Nine29

Nine29 Well-Known Member

6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

This sounds perfect, you're explaining exactly what I wanted to know. I'm thinking I want to work some HIIT training in too going from this to weights. Ok I'm pretty much convinced. There are two on CL for under 200 bucks, that's a low risk investment.

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Sure thing bro.
    I’ve used them when I was injured and couldn’t run and had no other options.

Using them for something specific like an MMA fight makes sense because you have a specific goal and that goal is going for X amount of minutes at an extremely high rate of performance so yea it’s great for that.

My advice was for a person building a home gym there are way better options. Motivation in a gym with guys training for MMA (or anything really) is way different than in your basement by yourself.

But Hey what do I know.
    If the OP wants to take your advice so be it. I hope he buys in the used market.

Ride safe,
    AAron

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Typical beeb. Another argument that there’s a wrong way to work out or a wrong piece of equipment to use.

Nothing wrong with cycling or running or rowing or airdynes or kettlebells or CrossFit or whatever. Just fucking exercise. It’s not that hard.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Better options? Such as what? He said home gym. Could you do the same thing running stairs for free
    Screw you! I got this figured out

[​IMG]

michaelrc51 and JBraun like this.
  10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'd seriously take a look at the Bowflex Max Trainer, they have 3 levels....I found a used one on CL for about slightly more than half the cost of new, about $800. They have a built-in 14minute workout that seems to work well IF you keep up on it.

11. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I'm not into crossfit but I learned to love the assault bike. One minute, as hard as you can go, see how many calories you can burn. You'll need a bucket if you do it right. Highly recommended for low impact cardio. I use an assault bike for extra cardio to supplement my running on non run days.

12. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Concept2 rower. Or the new NordicTrak rower looks as good.

13. PeaPod

PeaPod Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but my knees get hammered when I ride the stationary bike at my gym. I can run no problem, but get on that bike for ten minutes and my knees feel like they went through a cheese grater.

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Saddle is likely too far back for your size

15. PeaPod

PeaPod Well-Known Member

hmm, was kind of thinking that. I am 6'4" , need to play around with positioning more I guess. This is on the upright bike, not those barc-a-loungers, lol!

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

This looks reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-1006...t=&hvlocphy=9007941&hvtargid=pla-523453328319

My two cents on the bicycle thing, though would be the trainer/Zwift membership combo.

That way you can bike indoors, and if you get a wild hair up your ass, you can just disconnect the bicycle and go out and enjoy a day out in the real world on real roads.

That may cost a little more up front than the air dyne or rower, but it gives you a couple environment options from the same equipment..and it's often nice to have options.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

OK...so I've stared at this post from MetalHead thinking....."Should I or should I NOT go there"...and finally thought....this is the Beeb....screw it.

Buddy...please, please please be careful when you spell this word. I mean no disprespect when I say this. But I giggled my ass off when I first read this one word in this thread.

It's a thread about cardio training in home gym. That "e" at the end...Chris Broome.....caused me to infer that you were hinting at some type of physical activity you
    engaged in with Chris Broome for your cardio.

NTTAWWT....but I'm just sayin'

I'm immature....so it "went there"...so thanks for the laugh.

Shenanigans likes this.
  18. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good write up about the rower vs AB.

http://brettsfitnesstips.com/concept-2-rower-vs-assault-bike-airdyne/amp/

I’m more prone to get the rower because of CrossFit. I’ve never used an AB, so I can’t really argue which one is “better”. I used to hate seeing workouts that involved the rower. But after the workout, I was glad it was there. It’s not like any of us here are training for the olympics or MotoGP(which the latter would be freaking awesome) so, either one will kick your butt just the same.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this statement makes sense. How can something that so hard NOT keep your heart rate up?

JBraun likes this.
  20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Used Keiser spin bike. Done