1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glassdoor reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by mike-guy, May 10, 2019.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

So I've finally got an interview at a company in a location that I'd like. I look more into things and all the reviews online say this place is terrible to work at. The common thread is that the management is trash and no one knows what they are doing. I've got a 10hr drive one way and would obviously be getting a hotel, all on my dime, for this interview. I feel like Glassdoor and those other sites are just places for people to bitch and I shouldn't concern myself with it but it's there for a reason. So how much do you guys believe what you read on those sites?

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Post the company. Someone on the beeb might work there.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Read it with a grain of salt but look for common themes

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I'd say the reviews are 80% accurate

I just looked up the company I work for and would stick with that number
    This review cracks me up, couldn't be more wrong
    "Serious hiring discrimination for engineering positions. This company actively throws out female and minority applicants due to gender and skin color. Do nothing, under-experienced management and toxic, good ol' boys environment. Needs to be investigated by the EEOC immediately."

5. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

If it indeed is wrong, then I can safely say, written by a true female feminist SJW.

6. mike-guy

Giti Tire in Richburg SC. Thought posting it might not be smart but what do I got to loose I guess.

7. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

You will obviously have disgruntled employees hammering on their past employers on there, but I would definitely look for patterns and keep them in consideration. Some of the info on there I have found to be spot on.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same as you
    Given this is an engineering environment they roll out the red carpet for women and minorities as this is typically a field dominated by white men.

Prospect likes this.
  9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Assuming you're active on LinkedIn, did you search the company on LinkedIn and see if you possibly have any shared connections there?

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't people bitch vs compliment at something like a 10 to 1 ratio?

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

not far from CMP and Carolina Adventure world.

go for it LOL

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

winners will win, whiners will whine.

guess who of the 2 writes on Glassdoor.

JJJerry likes this.
  13. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

FWIW...I did some consulting work for a small company last year. I did a little recon prior on Glassdoor and quite frankly, it was remarkably accurate. The positive reviews were very clearly written by the owner himself.

No doubt, complainers and whiners like to complain and whine, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few pearls of wisdom. Definitely DO NOT make any decision based solely on Glassdoor reviews.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. A better way to judge a firm is by employee turnover rate. This is a reasonable question to ask. If the rate is high, or if they won’t tell you what it is, then you’ve found a good reason to avoid the firm, unless your goal is purely a short stint of employment.

15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

This is fairly common. The owner of our company is constantly encouraging us to write a Glassdoor review because the only people that bother writing them are the ones that left and are disgruntled. The comments I have seen regarding my company usually reflect that so I would take them with a huge grain of salt.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

My current place of employment has a 3.7 rating. It is by far the best company that I worked for. Never thought I would last past 5 years at the same place. Can things be better - sure. There is always room for improvement.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Not every situation is the same, but I looked up my company a while back and it was about 90% negative...and completely accurate, unfortunately...:crackup::crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  18. mike-guy

Yea I don't know anyone. I also just got that going about a month ago since I'm graduating tomorrow haven't spent the time on it I should have.

Yea I really like the location. Won't have to deal with traffic going in and it's plenty close to a bunch of great stuff. Also should be able to get a nice place outside of the city cheap.

I'm def going into it with a goal of walking out with an offer, or at least the feeling that ones coming. I just hope that I like the place enough to want to accept it.