1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Sealer

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, May 10, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What's the stuff called that you use to coat the inside of a rusty gas tank?

2. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

Kreem

3. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I had good results with POR15.

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Caswells

pscook likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

That's it. I liked that it has a silver/metal look to it, so it keeps that "stock" appearance.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yamaha has a good kit, as well.

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

redkote

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've done several with Kreem cause that's what PU sells. One with POR that the customer brought in. Biggest thing is do it right or don't bother, follow the directions, prep is key.

Past Glory and ducnut like this.
  10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

How rusty? If it is just a little, leave it and use an in-line filter. I would only prepare and coat the tank if the rust is excessive. Folks have more issues with coatings than they would had they left the tank alone and dealt with the small amount of rust that might eventually leave the tank and seek to enter the fuel system. If possible, put a low spot (loop) in the fuel line between the tank and the filter. Whatever rust comes out will settle in the low spot, and you can occasionally disconnect the line and drain that bit of sediment.

Cheers,

Dave

pscook likes this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's pretty rusty. It's a 74 CL360 that's been sitting for about 10 years.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Should be a cool project.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's not my bike. It belongs to the local bicycle shop owner. It's just a "get it running so I can sell it" kind of project: carbs, tank, battery, fluids, etc.

ducnut likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

This ‘66 CL77 popped up in one of my page feeds. I’d really like to have it.

Attached Files:

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If it's just a "get it running" project, I'd go with inline filters like Dave said.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Toilet bowl cleaner to remove the rust, then maybe fog it?

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Acids strip all coatings and leaves a bare surface that WILL rust. If you use Evaporust, it’ll safely remove the rust and leave any anti-corrosion properties intact. Also, it’s environmentally safe and won’t harm paint. I use coated deck screws as an agitator. Reposition and shake the tank every morning and you’ll eventually get the whole interior cleaned.

pscook, beechkingd and 83BSA like this.
  19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Or, just get a big tote, fill with diluted Evaporust (50% or so) and just submerge the tank completely. Rotate periodically to avoid air pockets not getting treated and just let it eat for a week or two. Pull off any aluminum bits like petcocks/etc before doing this.

ducnut likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Will it hurt the paint?