1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica predictions 2020 and beyond

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., May 7, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not around here. Haven't seen that since going to public county run courses in Cincy. And 20 bucks would get me a really good pie :D

2. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

The Road Race team was notified in August that AH was pulling the plug. But by that time, the Team Manager (Ron Heben) already had most of the team under contract for 2009.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds about right. Roger had made no bones about wanting the OEMs to have zero influence on his series since they bought it in what, March of 08?

4. Seems to be how most good ones come about. I met a well known drag racer on a plane about 6 months ago. They are close to getting a pretty decent deal with some people I got them hooked up with. Pure chance.

5. Exactly. There is no real good solution to that. Front runners have to get by and backmarkers still paid their money, qualified, etc but then have to not race each other temporarily to let a series of front runners through. For either party it’s no fun.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and he succeeded. :crackup:

how'd that work out? Oh yeah. But it wasn't that, it was the economy! The economy!

7. It is on their shoulders and it’s a lot better than it’s been for quite a while. They took it over when it was in the crapper and have steadily made it better even while bike sales have stayed way down. I think one thing ma is doing is making it a better fan experience. The twins stuff, club racing or not, is still good racing and the fans love it. Lots of other national series have “club” classes, if nothing else it fills the dead time for the fans.

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My prediction. We keep on keeping on. The series will stumble along and manage to hang in there. Racers and fans will grumble about this and that. Classes will come and classes will go. Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

JBall, spoon32, rcarson15 and 4 others like this.
  9. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

How is Caleb?

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking. He is graduating in a couple of days, then training over the summer to run D1 track in college. Majoring in civil engineering. Looks like he will be getting his degree for free. Changing sports turned out to be the best choice for us, although we miss all of our racing buddies.
    We have been following Nick on Facebook. I see he is also graduating. What's next for him? Looking good on the bike!

Scott S., Mechdziner714 and nantahala like this.
  11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That is part of racing. It happens all the time in most racing.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I still blame the rolling starts :D

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice! Kollege is good and in a few years, if he wants to come back to racing he can but he'll have a kick ass degree and a solid job when he does. :up:

Scott S., nigel smith and Pitmom42 like this.
  14. Scott S.

Great news about Caleb. Smart choices. Nic is doing okay I guess. He recently tested with a team in Spain for a BSB support class. He did well, top 3.
    Turns outs testing was all they had funded so I guess it isn't happening. The team liked him and they thought they had a deal too.
    Really don't know what's up as I don't race with him or talk much at all and only see social media stuff sporadically.
    Said he doesn't want to get stuck in America..and even if he was offered a free ride here he wouldn't take it. I admire his tenacity but still.. Faceplant. I get that and I don't get it. He's here on the been so I probably just got myself a few more months of probation. I hope he works it all out.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  15. Scott S.

So if Wayne and crew can get more support and up shift a cog what would that look like?

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

larger team subsidies and more semis in the paddock. thats what id want to see.

17. Hookers and blow at all events ?!?

AC1108 likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I see the stock 1000 and Superbike classes merging. I know it was run simultaneously at one time, but the cost of Superbike will drive entries down until it doesn't make sense. Yamaha has pulled back and Suzuki is the only factory that's all in. If you look at the bikes in Parc Ferme, the Suzukis look like MotoGP bikes, lots of custom CNC parts. The Yamahas look a lot more stock-ish. Disclaimer- I have no idea what's under the fairing, this is just my thoughts.

If Twins continues to grow, I would not be surprised to see the rules tightened up, or the cutoff come down to 107% like SS. KTM is already out, I would not be surprised if the coming Aprillia is too fast also.

Junior Cup is awesome and I think it will continue to grow in popularity.

All the classes are growing right now, entries are up, the streaming package is awesome, fan attendance is up. Wayne and the crew are doing a hell of a job. The series is doing 1000x better than it ever was under DMG.

Monsterdood likes this.
  19. mino6466

mino6466 Well-Known Member

Yamaha is actually the only factory team. All those Suzuki guys are actually Yosh guys not Suzuki. There appears to be support but not factory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

20. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Clueless. Yoshimura R&D of America has run US Suzuki's Superbike team since the mid-late 70's. Those are Works level machines under their canopy. The highest level Superbike available. Which should give you an idea of Yamaha's built-in-the-US effort that they run with and regularly beat them. Smart guys at YMUS, for sure

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    lonewrench likes this.