1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica predictions 2020 and beyond

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., May 7, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds good since it's been a while but that isn't how it happened. DMG made decisions that drove away the OEM's and without their support the other sponsors left - which means no series. They tried some truly bad things with class structure that did not work. The economy didn't help but it was far from why the series died.

CR750 likes this.
  2. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

They also disappeared from my TV screen. I don't know anything about how that went down, but from a fan perspective (I'm not a racer) we went from AMA Superbike on SPEED to some crap called American SuperBike on a website. For all intents and purposes the series we had been watching simply vanished.

3. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

I have heard Wayne would like to do some match racing with BSB. Excuse me for being naive but has that been done before? I like

4. Joe Remi

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Considering this happened in 2008/2009 I would think that 70-80% of the reason for the OEs leaving was the economy. I this first hand at Pirelli in the car, truck, and bike divisions. Hell I saw the same thing at Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky, etc. during the same timeline.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I said, that sounds great but that isn't what those working for or running the OEM's racing stuff told me.

DMG bought and killed roadracing in early 2008. Bike sales and budgets didn't drop drastically until 2009, budgets for 2009 were set in 2008 based on 2008 sales so it really hit teams in 2010 and beyond.

Sorry but this is one piece of history that has no need to be rewritten. All of the DMG era issues were caused by DMG. They were not helped by the economy sure but that wasn't even half the overall problems.

YamahaRick likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

8. Joe Remi

DMG told the manufacturers to sod off, later admitting they underestimated how important manufacturer support was to pro road racing. I'm sorry, DMG's failure was DMG's doing.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So here's one that is purely rumor but from good sources on the TV thing - evidently a done deal sat on someones desk unsigned until it was too late because they thought their Grand Am and NASCAR connections could get a series with low viewership on a major network. Once they finally went to sign it the deal was pulled on the other end because bike sales had dropped and ad revenue dried up.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

My opinion was based off of strictly a racer perspective. Lol nothing more.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:D So you truly liked the pace cars and the choice of track and dyno rules that are easy to break? :p

I think people remember things much more fondly with many years since they happened....

12. Robby-Bobby

Didn’t care for pace car either way.

Choice of track meaning what? Like where the. Car rolled on track?

Dyno was totally cool with me.

I made more $$$ with DMG than AMA pro also. Obviously we are talking mid pack on back, but still.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah he had some purses from Jim Frances pocket. For a little while til the budget got cut. Same thing happened when Doug went with him for FUSA stuff, lasted a couple years til the money ran out.

Choice of tracks was Mid-Ohio, trying to get back to Loudon and some others.

14. Robby-Bobby

Never did Loudon.

Definitely loved Mid-Ohio if they would repave it.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. Or just seal the entire thing so it's consistent.

16. Scott S.

This.. During my corporate years I saw more heavy hitting deals penciled out on golf score cards and after meeting lounge napkins than during think tank gatherings. At the end of the day it's about people and relationahips

mino6466 and KWyman133 like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I really need to learn how to golf.

Scott S. likes this.
  18. Scott S.

Incentive- pie cart at the 8th

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly won't help. For the greens fees I can buy lots of great pies :D

20. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Green fees here at some courses are 20 bucks.

T time....