1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

IMAG3014-20190308-212020906.jpg Finally got my "hunting rifle"/part time long range rifle put together. Got it out and ran 40 rounds of various left over factory ammo through it today. I am anxious for my reloading dies to get here so I can start getting handlerad development going.
    Its definitely not a Tikka, but its been a fun project and done fairly budget friendly.

lizard84 likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Looks like a proper rifle to me. :rock:

That's quite a bag set-up. Ever use bipods and a small rear bag?

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I normally shoot of a bipod and rear bag, but was trying a bag/bag setup. The benches were icy/slippery, so I switched to bags.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

5. fastfreddie

Ah...Yeah, that sucks.
    IMG_1412.JPG
    :D

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Unless those are carbide, they wont do any good on a concrete bench.

7. fastfreddie

I was lookin' at that soft pine bench. :D

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, but what happens to that soft pine bench if everyone digs their spiked bipod into it?

9. fastfreddie

That's why you bring your own wood, carpet, c-clamps, etc.

10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Anyone have a KRG Bravo? My gun is shooting pretty freakin good with the factory stock but the Tupperware feel is getting to me. Didn’t know if the krg also felt cheap. Almost sprang for a manners but realized it probably wasn’t worth the cost.

12. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

That's a good looking rifle you have there. Could you provide some deets about it? I'm especially curious about the "budget friendly" part.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thanks.

Yeah I can tell you all the specs and pricing.

I started with a Stevens 200(Savage without an Accutrigger) in 22-250. I installed a 9 twist Criterion barrel(~$420) on it, which I had a 50% off certificate from(won at a Borderwars Match last year), a Boyds At-One stock($200), stainless Savage trigger gaurd, an EGW 20moa rail($44), Weaver 6-hole rings($35) and an Athlon Argos BTR(~$300, already had it). I made my own barrel nut, recoil lug and muzzle brakes and do my own trigger jobs. I did some truing of the action(made a fixture for spinning it on the bolt bore), made an action wrench and bought the go guage and barrel nut wrench.
    I had planned on shooting 150ELDX's, but it doesn't like them. I does really like the 162's though. Shot it at 1000 for the first time last night and have shot it a couple times at 600.
    It's not a cheap gun, but a budget "custom" gun.

OGs750 likes this.
  14. Steak Travis

Athlon ares Btr is on sale Memorial day weekend

Tikka CTR 6.5 $850 street price with ares btr $550 or so and a bipod get you a solid 1k gun “cheap”

Mine did this without trying too hard with factory hornady 140 eldm 100yds
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So my scope mount finally came in yesterday so I hit the range today with my new set-up.....only put two boxes of ammo through her, I was just there basically to site in the scope at 100 yds....mission accomplished.

However, it was not nearly as easy as it should have been, my set-up was horrendous. I bought one of those Caldwell shooting bag sets and I couldn't comfortably get the rifle lined up with the target using just those two bags (one big, one small). I actually had to use a box of ammo and my cleaning kit to lift both ends up a little... :confused: I should have just bought a 10 rd mag instead of the 20 rd, that was part of the issue bottoming out on the table, lesson learned! I suspect there will be more on the incoming months. :D So I saw some guys using those adjustable shooting rests, is it worth buying or should I just go for a bipod set up? Thoughts?

16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Bipod and learn proper technique. An adjustable sled doesn't do anything for you.

Hollywood, Newsshooter and XFBO like this.
  17. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

10 Rd or 5 Rd mag, this is a precision rifle. You don't need 20. Harris bipod. Maybe a small back bag for a rest. With proper form, loading the bipod with pressure and good body position you should be comfortable and get back on target before your round hits. (assuming 600+ yds).

fastfreddie and XFBO like this.
  18. fastfreddie

Yup. Get your body position by loading the bipod with forward pressure from your shoulder. You should not have to touch the gun with your hands to hold on target. Small bag under the stock, use it to make aiming corrections by squeezing/adjusting the bag with your weak hand. Ideally, you should only have to touch the trigger. With a precise gun/ammo/shooter, all bullets should go through the same hole at 100 yds.
    After that, long distances are "only" a matter of elevation and windage. :D

XFBO, Hollywood, jrsamples and 2 others like this.
  19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Okay boys i'm new to the game and havent read he entirety of the thread, but ordered a Rem 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor today. Planning on putting it in a KRG hunter chassis and a Timney trigger to start with. I'll primarily use it for whitetails this fall but also plan to get into some long range paper punching after that. Thinking I'll swap the cheap-ish 2-7 from my 6.8 AR for fall duties onto it and then re evaluate.

Any suggestions on further mods or dos/donts appreciated.

20. Steak Travis

Is it a barreled action or complete rifle?

If it’s a complete rifle, I might wait on the trigger and krg and pick up a new scope for the rifle. Athlon has some good options in the budget scope arena for trying long range out and they sell for way under msrp. You can always sell glass if you end up not liking LR shooting. Im afraid you’ll be wishing you’d spent the money for the chassis and trigger on a scope using a 2-7 power scope

Try Hornady Eldm 140 grain bullets. I don’t think I’ve heard of a rifle that doesn’t shoot them well and I’ve killed pigs DRT with them even though they are “match” bullets.

Newsshooter likes this.