1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica predictions 2020 and beyond

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., May 7, 2019.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He has said he wanted to come over here to race on a factory Honder after his motogp career is over. 2022 might be it, Carnac.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I think they didn't spend the money to homologate it for the Jr. Cup or offered no contingency. Kind of weird since it is gridded up and doing well enough in WSS300.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're paying on it in our stuff.

Scott S. likes this.
  4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Get rid of Superbike and stock 1000s and make a single class that spilts the difference. Superbike is too expensive to run, so that grid will always be small. Stock 1000 is cheapish, so that grid will always have more bikes. Let them run Superbike suspension with stock engines and piggyback electronics only. Or go even closer to what Superbike was in the beginning, and only allow stock electronics. The top teams will still be winning, but you need the rest of the grid to keep the racing going.

2OLD2BFAST, lopitt85 and Circacee like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Splitting the difference won't actually decrease the cost of the class. The teams with more budget will always spend that budget and will usually be ahead of those with a lesser budget - be it buying the better riders or better tuners or fresh equipment every round or whatever. You can do it on less than a factory budget by quite a bit, look at Attack.

6. backcountryme

I get that funded teams will spend their money. But the grid count will always stay low when the barrier of entry is that high. If a talented rider can show up on a mostly stock bike and still have a shot then the grid sizes will grow. That is why the stock 1000 and the old superstock 1000 classes always had more bikes on the grid.

2OLD2BFAST likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The barrier isn't high at all. It's a perception thing - the slower riders won't enter so long as they perceive they've got no chance against the big teams - and there is absolutely no way to change that. If you made one class you'd keep the SB riders you have and maybe half but more like 1/4 or so of the SS riders. It'll absolutely pump up the SB grid some but not by the entire SS grid.

8. Agree. Look at some of the kit in the BSB moto 3 type class. F$ck me. And the racing isn’t any better from a fan perspective. The price point, especially in the current economic climate is not feasible.

9. So your telling me there’s a chance :)

10. I can tell you running a moto 2 in BSB 600 class is a lot more than it is to run a ss machine. Once again though, depends how much you want to spend. This year chassis are relatively cheap with the switch to triumph but other bits certainly are not. Heck forks and calipers you already have a stock new 600 to start building.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't DMG run superstock superbikes?

12. And it won’t make racing any better, actually will make it worse as you’ll have a lot more people getting lapped.

13. backcountryme

How is that worse? Seeing how the fast guys get through traffic is exciting. Way better then 2 or 3 bikes being 20 seconds in the lead.

14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly what you say. What so great up the existing talent cups is that they are heavy subsidized by Honda and DORNA (for the European Talent Cup I think the cost was around 4ooo euros, plus gas and tires for a whole season), so the cost for the riders who get picked for the series is relative low. And hopefully with exposure that the series would get, it would then translate with more kids getting the bulletproof Honda NSF 250’s and running them in WERA and give Kayla some competition....

mino6466, Scott S. and Canadian Bacon like this.
  15. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Carnac says @Mongo will destroy ALL roadracing by 2020. :crackup:

16. It’s bleeping horrible and not exactly how races should be decided. IMO

23103a likes this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd like to see a return of the following teams to SBK:

Muzzy (wouKawi SBK team
    KWR/Fast by Ferraci Ducati
    HSBK/AF1 Aprillia
    Except according to Greg they do alot of racing in the rain in Europe.

18. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

I get to design sports venue facilities in the firm I work for and to bring in fans who are willing to spend the money at an event, you must provide a business networking atmosphere and high end fan comforts. Air conditioning & rain protection with full food service including alcohol, also nice restrooms within 100 ft. Of viewing seats and live monitors, hotels close by, VIP parking within access to seating, etc. Local advertising is a must! You have to create the atmosphere and MA doesn't have support coming from the tracks to provide it so they have to fund the fan support. So far they have only provided minimal venues that attract the average fan, but they need corporate atmosphere. Sky boxes, large conference and buffet services with the best views, team/rider access and a place for potential sponsors and investors to be a part of the races. This actually creates a 'recruitment' environment for up and coming racers to. Usually the funds for this sort of thing comes from retired and wealthy athletes or current suppliers/manufacturers who give back to their sport. I don't see much 'giving' back in USA road racing at all, just those who still expect to receive something in return. It may mean they race at tracks that will provide more support for the potential investors over tracks that wont.
    I live near Barber and there is a huge difference in local advertising and the corporate support at the races for Indy than there is for MA & it's a big difference in the local fan attendance as well.
    MA live provides the comforts of watching races at home and still getting to know the racers. I think if there's not something changed at the tracks, there will be less attendance and then there's no place for corporate support to happen. Rain events don't help in many aspects either. My 2 cents towards bringing in the fans/big money support.

rcarson15 and Scott S. like this.
  19. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

The die hard fans will walk through a flooded paddock at Tally. I will, I have and.. I think pitmom is correct.
    So the tracks don't pump the events locally for Motoamerica outside of a FB blurb?! Why the hell not?! Driving south out of Salt Lake today I saw more than one billboard for some local mud dobber hold my beer dig.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  20. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

My prediction is it won't look much different than now. Rainey's trying, but this series is taking forever to rise from the steaming pile of rubble DMG left behind. Hopefully live races on FS1 or NBCSN will be a thing in 2020.