1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycle pads squealing

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 7, 2019.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Shimano brake pads started to squeal like crazy on my mountain bike. Hydraulic system with disk brakes. So I did the usual: parts cleaner to the pads and rotor. Then scuffed the pads with a file, and cleaned with brake parts cleaner again for good measure. Scotch brite pad to the rotor and more cleaning. Made sure caliper is centered to the disk. Disk is not warped.

Anyways, didn't make any difference. Still loud as hell. Annoying loud.

Any idea on what to do next? Buy a new set of pads?

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

With rubber pads, it's usually the toe and/or dirty rim.
    Never had to deal with a disc doing that.
    Try using sand paper on the pads and rubbing alcohol on the disc

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Your pads are either very thin or contaminated. New pads, clean the rotors and bed the new pads in. Happens a lot with mountain bikes.

And stop dragging the brakes while riding.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It could be the piston to pad interface, as the coating (if any) on the pad has worn, or there is a contaminate on the back of the pads/surface of the piston (or actuator, I don't know bicycle hydraulic brakes that well).

With my mechanical disc brakes I adjust the arm travel to zero (and center the pad, as you have), cable slack to "a little," and clean everything like you did, which usually cures the squealing.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

think the replacement pads on my shimano hydraulic were $18 set??? Definitely stopped the squeal

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I guess I am more annoyed that I can't figure out why they wont stop. Still lots of life left in the pads.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Loud Pads Save Lives.

R Acree, ducnut and TurboBlew like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Have you tried peeing on them ?

10. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I piss on the whole bike after each ride.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

You gotta pee on them while riding.

(personal admission: I've peed on a rattle snake. It didn't stop rattling.)

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Sorry man, doc says your gonna die.......:)

auminer likes this.
  13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Loosen the brake caliper from the frame (do not remove, just loosen), squeeze the brake lever and tighten the brake caliper while squeezing. This is a centering issue and is easily resolved.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  14. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Done that already.

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Hmm, it sounds like you tried just about everything except the pads. You may have hit some impurity in the pad compound and simply need to replace them. Sorry man.

16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You could try not using them so much, think of that squeal as a training tool :).

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I just did the same on my Ultegra discs and pads. scuffing the pads with sandpaper helped the most. but the squeal is still there at lesser brake pressures. theres also a distinct lack of bite and stopping power. so I'd bet they are contaminated. im just going to buy new pads now.

18. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I've heard a light pass with a blow torch across the pads may help burn off any contamination. Worth a try.

19. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I switched to EBC pads on my older mtb which had a Hayes system. No more issues.

Pads are cheap, just try new ones.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Pad contamination happens all the time with mtn bikes. The other easy way to get the squeal, or turkey gobble, is not bedding them in right and/or riding the brake too much.
    Just really easy to swap pads and do a handful of hard stops up and down the road before heading out. You can sometimes get contamination to loosen up and pads work better on metallic pads by doing the wrong thing and riding the brakes getting them really hot, but then you have to eventually fix it right anyway and now probably bleed them. Organic pads (which are way better than metallic anyway) are screwed once contaminated. Sanding/filing/cleaning them won't do anything but contaminate them worse.