1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ton

ton Arf!

remind us what yours is, Sean? i remember it was your dad's but can't remember the model...

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Red Sub Mark I

Supergirl and ton like this.
  3. ton

ton Arf!

woah. vintage collectors' gold, indeed.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Worthless junk! Worthless Junk! Warehouse full of them just found! Trump! :D

Supergirl, Jedb, Phl218 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I have visions of you and Flea dancing around singing this..

6. Supergirl

Supergirl Well-Known Member

[emoji7]

7. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

My wife was over in London for work last week, and brought this back for me. I know it is basically the British version of Shinola, but it is cool looking. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedb likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Beat up a bit but I like it.

rolex1.JPG

Phl218, mastermind, j cal and 2 others like this.
  9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Looks like a fake. Worth no more than tree-fiddy.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Supergirl

I hope you wear it and it's not just collecting dust.
    Life is short! Enjoy that wonderful piece of art and history in good health.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on my mood. Some days I can't imagine losing it or it being stolen so it stays locked up. Other times I just don't want to hurt dads watch. Yet other days I remember that dad wore it every day from when he woke up until he went to bed unless it was being serviced from the day he bought it until he went into ICU and wore it the day he died - at which point I put it on. Granted not sure he'd like the current nato strap :D

mastermind and Supergirl like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For $350k I'll sell it :crackup:

mastermind and SteveThompson like this.
  13. Supergirl

I'm with your dad on the Nato [emoji1787]
    Wear, enjoy!

j cal likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

First time I saw Bostrom (the one with the B first name) wearing his Daytona Daytona on a giant leather strap I was all taken aback. "What the shit, the dude has no sense of history! How can he do that?" and I stormed off in a hissy fit that would make a teenage girl proud.

Then it hit me like a bullet between the eyes. It's his watch, he's not even in his own world but in his own universe and it was pretty gawd damn kick ass. Plus it made the purist in me insane so, it was awesome.

Do what you want, man. It'll make the watch purist go all insane and that's worth it in itself. :)

mastermind likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is a picture of Dad shining the chrome on the hearse that was in a P&G mag, he's got one of those pimp 70's leather cuff watch bands on - and it has to be the Rolex on it - so I've got some leeway with the nato :D

Supergirl and mastermind like this.
  16. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Its really not all that beat.. I've seen way worse. A good cleaning and light buff would make her shine.

Supergirl and mastermind like this.
  17. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Watches were meant to be worn.

Motorcycles were meant to be ridden.

t

emry and Supergirl like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm pretty good friends with a dude with a Pepsi bakealite bezel. He has the original bezel in a box (and a safe) at home and has a metal bezel on it. He replaced the original crystal (which is in the safe) with a newer one because the original was scratched up pretty good and with the bezel and OG crystal alone are worth the price of a new toyota by themselves. Sneeze on the original bezel and it'll shatter.

Anyways, original GMT on the original bracelet and it's a daily wearer. Why? 'cause he bought it to wear and doesn't give a rats ass. :D

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

This is why I don't understand the whole box and papers craze. For sure to the collector, having the complete set may be worthwhile, but I want the damn watch to tell me the time and look cool on my wrist.

Supergirl likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah it is in pretty good shape. The lugs are all crisper than I expected given the wear. Just cleaning actually helps compared to that pic, you can tell I'd been wearing it a while by the crud in the bracelet :D Only issue if you can even call it that is years of being a glassblower and getting buildup of grit inside the lugs where the model and serial numbers are has those worn away, I'm sure proper work could get them to show better but not a big deal to me.