1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodcraft paddock stands

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, May 6, 2019.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Remember the white Lockhart Phillips stands? If you needed to adjust the width you just stood on it to bend it in some? :crackup:

MachineR1, Motofun352 and Wingnut like this.
  2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i bet they use the titanium ones because shipping stuff around the world is cheaper if its lighter.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When I sold my RZ500 I gave my LP stand to the new owner. He didn't want it but I told him it was no-deal if he didn't take the stand too! :p

beechkingd, YamRZ350 and pscook like this.
  4. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine that has experience both stands told me to stay away from WC. He said that a couple of his WC had a few chips in the black coating, and he accidentally left them outside during some weather. When he went to move them a couple days later, he noticed rust water came out of them. He’s left PB stands outside too and never had a problem with them. Not sure I’d want to be putting my bike up on stands that will start to rust and break down. He loves WC, just not their stands. Anyone else experience something like that?

5. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

The PitBull stuff looks like shit.
    Both products are strong and do the job.
    My vote is Woodcraft.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Look like shit? In what universe?

MachineR1 and Chris like this.
  7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

BTW Woodcraft now uses wheels that look just like Pit-bulls.
    [​IMG]

8. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I don’t know how Pitbull is still in business. I have had the same rear and front stands for almost 20 years it seems. I like woodcraft for everything except stands. I love Pitbull stands.

JBall, Shocker and badmoon692008 like this.
  9. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I wish a had a quarter for every time I tripped over the handle of a Pit Bull stand.

10. fastedyamaha

Well if you did, you’d be able to buy one with the removable handle and your problem would be solved :beer:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Odd, I watch where I'm going and have never done so :D

I also don't smack my shins on trailer hitches after the first one :crackup:

12. fastedyamaha

I have one that’s pretty badly corroded and rusted...

13. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Just to address a few things that have come up in comparisons:
    Our front stands are height adjustable. We added that feature to the triple tree stands well over 15 years ago and to all of our front stands in 2012 when Charlie designed the new "Hybrid" generation of front stands. Sometimes people compare our 1997 front stand to something that came out this year, which is great on one hand - because it means our '97 stand is still working just fine, but we have added some features over the years so it's not always an apples to apples comparison.

We also have a height adjustable rear stand...It came out in 2008 as the "Busa Rear" but was renamed the Fully Adjustable Rear Stand in '19 to better describe it's features. We still offer the traditional non-height adjustable stands due to their strong following. When you set the height at the lowest setting and use the optional extended length removable handle on the Fully Adjustable Rear - there's leverage galore.

We had axle holders for a very long time but last year we changed the design so that it would work on both hollow and solid axles as well as be able to hold axle nuts and spacers. We made it optional since it would not be an important feature to everybody. Same with the caliper holders...We've had those for several years but changed the design last year to make them more capable(holding calipers, caliper bolts, etc)

As Mongo noted, Charlie V went with the large wheels because he developed these while he was club racing and found they worked better on uneven surfaces found in some paddock areas while he was coming up with a stand design. We never went "quad wheel" like some stand brands have done because we felt like the primary benefit would be to avoid the upright tube flexing, and we were not having any issues there due to the strength of our tubes.

As far as corrosion goes, of course anything made of steel will eventually corrode. We have our own zinc plating shop now, so we offer refurbishing if anyone were interested. $40 covers the replating and all-new stickers, grips, bolts, wheels, etc. It's not absolutely necessary, but it is available if you like your stand to look like new.

As for Woodcraft, they make nice products. We've always liked them as a competitor because Eric comes up with his own designs and it's nice to compete with something that's not just a cheap copy of your own product.
    zinc-refinishing-pit-bull.jpg

14. wookie

wookie Well-Known Member

And that post right there is why Pitbull is #1 in most motorcycle race circles...

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Bending a rear stand to fit, loading a bike into a PU truck bed by yourself with a single sketchy ass ramp, pitting with out a 900sq ft canopy, no warmers or genny and bike repair with zip ties/safety wire and job weld...this is what should be taught in New Racers School.

fastedyamaha likes this.
  16. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Well, this makes it a no brainer. As I do love WC for a lot of their stuff; and a lot of it is on my R6, I believe it will be PB for the stands. Thank you for this informative post, and to everyone else.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A Pit Bull stand? Got pics, I've seriously never even heard of that much less seen it.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW as much as I seem to be promoting Pit Bull - I do love Woodcraft and their stuff too. They are racers taking great care of other racers with quality products and service.

MVA25 likes this.
  19. fastedyamaha

I’ll be at Nelson’s tomorrow dropping off a motorcycle I sold. I’ll bring it with me. I like the $40 to refurbish it deal but these things are a pain to ship!

20. fastedyamaha

No you’re forgetting the old model of a canopy that had metal pipes and connectors that had to be taken apart and put back together, with the canopy that had little bungee cords too.