1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Pads

Discussion in 'General' started by raven433, May 5, 2019.

1. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

Hey guys,looking to get a new set of pads for the bike and I'm looking for suggestions. The bike is a 2016 Yamaha R1M. Mainly used for spirited mountain twisty rides and 3-4 trips down to the Dragon every year with the wife.

What says the beeb??????

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what deficiencies do the stock brake pads demonstrate?
    Define "spirited"?? Posted speed limit @ the Dragon is 30-35mph.
    Do you want to win the Annual Dragon Invitational or would you settle for just a lower podium spot?

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I would say he has no chance at the win or a podium without the latest Brembo carbon rotors and brake pads.

4. Whatever you get, be sure to put the brake manufacturer‘s sticker on your bike so we all know it’s teh Awesome.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And some carbon fork tubes. Squid. :Poke:

FrancisA likes this.
  6. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Lmfao @ the replies. Just get the stock pads, or at most EBC sintered pads. Don’t worry about anything more.

7. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

EPFA by EBC

8. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

LOL...... I figured I would get the usual replies. I don’t like the feel of the stockers. The initial bite is ok but then they seem to fade. Feels like 2 pcs of wood rubbing together. Had Vesrah XX’s on the race bike and really like them but I know they wouldn’t be ideal on a street bike.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

If you like Vesrah’s then go to their website and look for a street compound that has similar characteristics to the race ones you liked.

raven433 and ducnut like this.
  10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

RJL last forever

sdiver, Newsshooter and ducnut like this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Then just get whatever pads YOU like the feel of. If you like the way they feel on the track, then you'll likely like the way they feel on the street for the most part. I would say the only types of pads that you shouldn't go for are the type that you generally have to maintain a fair bit of heat in them to work.

I remember the old Performance Friction 07 compound pads (discontinued now) that I used to love would have almost no bite until I after dragged them all they way down hot pit before entering the track.

12. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

My last street bike I had was back in 08 so it's been a while since I've purchased street pads. Still have the stockers on the R1 now. Was curious which pads riders seem to favor now. Plus with the wife riding on the R1 the stock pads seem to fade quickly.

13. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

Will definitely look at those.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I have Vesrah SRJL-SS pads on my 1000. I've used them both on the street and track, like them for both. On my 600 I've most recently started using DP X-Titanium pads, like them too http://www.dp-brakes.com/Shop/p-3-RDP-X-Race-Titanium.html

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

WTF brake pads are cheap. Throw some DP pads in and go ride. You'll like them! And good on the track 2

16. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

Thanks for the feedback... I will look into them.

17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

raven433 likes this.
  18. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

Thanks guys....looks like a lot of good choices out there.

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I think Vesrah XX would be fine on the street. They work better than EBC HH and the like at the track in the rain on the first lap.

Bruce likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

i would go old school and put some drum brakes on it. Makes for an exciting ride I heard.

Mot Okstef, FrancisA and raven433 like this.