1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tib/fib fracture help.

Discussion in 'General' started by TakeItApart, May 2, 2019.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm going to give you some advice...because you know, there's lots of good doctors out there but it doesn't matter if your head isn't right.

I was told at many stages of my rehab that I wouldn't be able to do this or I wouldn't be able to do that but I simply looked at them and said bullshit, I'm going to do everything the exact same as I did before this happened.

And they would give me a "yeah right dude" smirk. Sure as hell I did.

So tell yourself that this is just a speed bump in life. No one can dictate your future but yourself. Keep positive during this entire experience and you'll be stronger in the long term for it.

Bobby_Evans, stk0308, K51000 and 8 others like this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

To answer your original question...another vote for Baltimore. My sons girlfriend is on the US Olympic Field Hockey team training in Lancaster, PA. She was just on a month long European tour and tore her ACL. She got back Wednesday and is in Baltimore this morning having her surgery. If the US Olympic Team thinks they're good enough, well that's good enough for me. If you'd like more info let me know, I can get specifics from my son.

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Love these threads........amazing the way resources get pooled to help somebody in need.

All my best for a quick and successful recovery.

K51000 and TakeItApart like this.
  4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin Well-Known Member

Hey Clint, it sounds like you have got plenty of good advice here and the only thing I would add is find the best damn doctor you can. Melissa and I are both wishing you get well soon!

TakeItApart likes this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Sorry to hear this Clint. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

I’ve always heard good things about this hospital; https://www.medstarunionortho.org/

Trying to offer you an option.

Good luck!

TakeItApart likes this.
  6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Hopefully I can get some answers and start making progress this week. The current ortho seems to think that fusing the ankle is the only option at this time with a possible ankle replacement later on after the bones heal. Of course the prognosis was better before he went in and accidentally nicked the tibial artery which then had to be ligated, causing less than ideal blood supply for a healing ankle. Hopefully my options are still good.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Why aren't you getting a second opinion right now?

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

No one is available on weekends and the swelling is too bad to do anything. I’ve got calls to a few places, just waiting on call backs.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Doorman

Doorman Member

Ten years ago the local docs said they had to fuse my ankle (shattered tib fib also) found Dr Terrell in Marietta Ga. external fixator and year later walking again! Hoping you the best in your recovery!
    And a cadaver heel thanks to a titanium foot peg!

TakeItApart and Phl218 like this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Gotcha the way your last reply read to me, was that you were sticking with your dr.

11. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

I second Union Memorial. They did a good job on my shoulder, and on my son’s well scrambled heel/ankle...

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

My left ankle is completely fused, so I know how your feeling. 6 surgeries in 4 years.

14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Hi there, I was an Ortho First Assistant, PA for many years. Surgeon nicked your tibial artery?- then we would have repaired it and/or grafted it so there is still that needed blood flow to distally! Ask them when you're going to see a vascular surgeon to fix his mess on that artery. My professional opinion. Yes, it still can be fixed/repaired/grafted (we used goretex grafts), etc.

I'm still curious how you sustained this injury in a car crash? Wow. What the hell happened? What vehicle were you in?

Good luck, sending good karma your way

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

A116F2DA-E24F-40E3-A63D-03B517AF1A4C.jpeg 2D06DC26-A07E-4404-9DCB-227CD00DB814.jpeg
    Thanks for the points of conversation to bring up. I’ll be sure to ask about that going forward.

I was passing a vehicle on a two lane road way with an opposing two way road way, separated by yellow lines. I was on the outside of my lane and passing a driver on the inside lane. As soon as I got to about even on their vehicle, they started drifting into my lane. I moved right a little bit to allow more room between them and myself.

Next thing I know, their car is contacting my car at about my left rear tire. My vehicle starts skidding sideways with the nose pointing to the left. By the time I hit the brakes, turn the wheel into the skid, and my vehicle is straight, I’m in the oncoming lanes of travel and about 20-30 feet from hitting another vehicle head on. We were probably both going 30+ mph and hit head on. Whatever pushed back in my car to crumple the floor pan and transmission tunnel is what did my leg in.

16. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I forgot to mention that this was an open fracture. Apparently the consideration for infection from an open wound changes how it’s cared for.

17. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it. Ive been going through the same thing for almost 3 years now.
    Open tib/fib with compartment syndrome and a huge skin graft. Ive been told by a couple of 3rd party Orthos that I shouldnt have my leg and my doctor is really good.
    I'm finally to a point of walking alright, no jogging or riding yet though. It takes a long time to see a difference in healing on an injury like that.
    More than you would always expect anyway. Reach out to me anytime and good luck with recovery.

TakeItApart likes this.
  18. Triple R 21

Triple R 21 Well-Known Member

This^^^
    I’ve worked in the OR with Dr Terrell for years and chose him to repair my collarbone years ago. Definitely someone worth the trip.
    With limited blood flow, you need movement to keep circulation going. He uses Ilizarov external fixators that allow you to walk during the healing process.

TakeItApart and K51000 like this.
  19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Wow- the violence I see from the impact of that photo! I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. I'm so sorry this unfortunate event happened to you.

Yes, Open Fx's - IV Abx at first, debridement of the tissues, etc. Much more complicated, you're in my prayers, and good karma your way.

TakeItApart likes this.
  20. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Doc told me you went to see him. Hope he was able to take good care of you!