1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Toyota Techs in the house?

Discussion in 'General' started by triplestrong, May 3, 2019.

1. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior with a annoying clicking noise coming from somewhere. Clicking starts at about 30mph, gets more audible at 35mph and starts to go away around 40mph. Universals checked out (so I'm told), rear brakes and discs are new. The dude I had it to for inspection recently swore up and down that it was the rear brake backing plates that were causing it some how. At $270 a piece I was reluctant to have him swap em. Decided to go ahead with the job and he was SURE it was the problem. I didn't get 200 yards from his shop and the noise was still there. Anyone have access to Toyota bulletins or anything like that? Anyone experience this before? I did a search and didn't come up with much. Thanks.

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

First result when googled. Could it be something this easy?

Attached Files:

3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Chances are that it’s the rear rotor/parking brake drum making contact with the backing plate/wheel bearing housing. The housing rusts and pushes the plate into the rear drum portion of the rotor, meant for the parking brake pad to contact.

You can fix it by swapping out rear wheel bearings, bearing housings, and backing plates, or by machining off as much of the drum lip as you can get off without exposing the brake shoe beneath the drum.

It’ll be especially obvious when putting new pads and rotors on the rear because the thickness or rather length of the drum, will be greater than an old part. Combine that with the swollen bearing housing and it’ll make noises. If you pull the rear wheels and rotors, you’ll see witness marks where the drums have been rubbing the housing/backing plate.

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I’ve also seen the center cap springs loosen up like the other poster mentioned as well as the outer trim rings on those rock warrior edition wheels.

5. triplestrong

That's what the dude said. Backing plates and wheel bearings have been replaced. I saw the old plates and where contact was being made (bare metal). Also pulled the center caps off the wheels with no luck.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Try the outer trim rings on the rock warrior wheels maybe?

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Friend of mine with a 2010 Rock Warrior removed the hardware for the parking brakes altogether if I recall correctly. i.e. left the shoes out after he replaced his rotors.

8. triplestrong

All tight.

9. triplestrong

I did that on my Chevy 2500 when the shoe material fell off the metal haha. Might be worth a shot. Hell, anything is worth a shot at this point.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Thought the rw fake beadlocks madd noise on some. Not hard to remove as a cheap test.

I have the same truck and the bfgs rub hard on those rings.