1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Educate me please about GSX-R vs R6

Discussion in 'General' started by almano, Apr 29, 2019.

1. FXCLM5

FXCLM5 Well-Known Member

im confused, r6>gsxr all day long from club to national series

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

rem when there were no R6s on the grid in WSS, even though every time they were pulled out of storage they won. there something else going on with WSS teams thats preventing them from using certain equipment. i could never figure that one out, given how dominant even the old R6 was everywhere. the same might be true for the GSXR.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm struggling to think of a time those guys ever had a bike problem. Like ever.

You also have to factor in factory incentives to get people to choose their motorcycle. Suzuki had a substantially rough patch for a while I don't know if that affected what support and dollars they could offer. That could explain some of the shift.

4. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Don't tell Honda that

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Tisnt any spelling mistake, thar is a good possibility sumthin is lost in translation though...

6. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I worked with a WSS team using R6's (old and new) and a different team using the Honda. Just started with yet another team (different series) using the Suzuki.
    They are all good bikes and can be competitive (though the Honda is, uh, less good). And judging from Sofaglue's 5 world titles the Kawasaki is also pretty good. As is (was) the Triumph.

It just seems to be a lot easier and take less effort to get the R6 into top shape, plus there are a bazillion of them being raced so the people who make go-fast parts are more likely to develop Yamaha parts ('cause they'll sell more) and all the tuning "secrets" are pretty well known so it takes less knowledge / time (money) to get it right. So when there is no factory contingency from anywhere, the Yamaha is the obvious choice. Let Suzuki post $15k for a win and see how many teams switch. And win.

As for why the R6s are so dominant, well, there are a lot more of them so.... remember when an 883 won every race in the USA Battle Twins? Know why? It wasn't 'cause it was the best twin.

Prospect likes this.