1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tib/fib fracture help.

Discussion in 'General' started by TakeItApart, May 2, 2019.

1. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Long story short, was in an automobile accident. Broken tib/fib and ankle is all over the place. Had one surgery to fixate things until the swelling went down. Swelling went down and they did surgery to rebuild the heel side of the ankle joint but now the swelling is up again so we’re holding off.

Lost the front tibial artery due to bone fragments and the surgeon is afraid or at least aware of the danger of losing the leg due to poor blood flow.

Anyone got a favorite orthopedic surgeon? Anyone had a similar surgery? How about ankle fusion? What are the chances I’ll still ride my bicycles relatively pain free and still able to compete/make the same amount of power?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Oh man, sorry to hear this. Good luck with everything.

TakeItApart likes this.
  3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Thank you. I’m still trying to figure out everything. Once I make it to rehab, I’m going to start getting some more options planned out.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

I am totally satisfied with the work Dr. Scott Watson did on my right knee here in greenville sc

5. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

:eek: I hope it all works out for you as you heal up!! :beer:

Side note:

Don't let your second opinion surgeon see your screen name and phrase...that kind of target fixation is not needed :D

TakeItApart likes this.
  6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Crazy that racing motorcycles netted me some rib fractures and not much more. Driving home to grab the bicycle and get out to train for an upcoming race leaves me all kinds of banged up.

7. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Sounds all too familiar.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Damn. Find the guy who put Mick Dohan back together ASAP. Was that Costa? That ankle is beyond effed.
    I had a buddy have a parachute issue...his legs looked like that, broken back, face, etc. The Army did put him back together mostly. At least he could walk and move around some.

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The orthos at GBMC on the north end of baltimore,are who I had for my right arm surgeries after a nasty highside left it broken in several spots as well as tendon disconnections. Arm was a complete mess when it happened but I would say its at 90-95% what it was before highside. They are a fairly short drive from york down 83

TakeItApart likes this.
  11. hcr25

hcr25 Well-Known Member

TakeItApart likes this.
  12. hcr25

hcr25 Well-Known Member

6DD01BC7-C869-40E4-AFE8-7322E6556BB3.jpeg

TakeItApart likes this.
  13. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Where are you located? I just had two ankle surgeries in the last 3 months, and so far everything has been great. Dr. Michael Troiano in Philly was my surgeon. He was recommended to me by track day guy/coach Chris Bromley who is also an ankle surgeon up in New York if that’s closer.

TakeItApart likes this.
  14. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I’m in Harrisburg, PA currently and definitely willing to travel to keep this thing under control and working as long as possible.

15. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

M y father in law suffered from a degenerative bone condition that required both shoulders and both knees replaced and some hardware installed in his back. The last replacement was an ankle replacement. The ortho that did the prototype was local to his regular group in Charlotte. It was the best procedure he had, results wise.

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Titanium? Got a fucker like that in my elbow.

17. hcr25

hcr25 Well-Known Member

1A1CA818-A424-4E04-A5B7-3B52B91483E1.png Here is an ad I put in our season program for a sponsor of mine.
    25 years of racing and 75% of the hardware was from one crash.

gixxernaut, Prospect and TakeItApart like this.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, I went through it all. Compound tib/fib, in an external fixator for 14 months and 8 surgeries. Screwed my ankle up too. I still have the hardware hanging in my shop. I'd be glad to tell whatever. This happened in 98 and I saw my doc two years ago...he said my leg is still his greatest accomplishment in his orthopedic career. Told me he was 50-50 amputation when he first came into the room.

By 2000 I could play hockey and raced in 2001. He's my hero.

stk0308, sanee, Rebel635 and 4 others like this.
  19. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Pm sent

TakeItApart likes this.
  20. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Google Dr. Samuel Adams at Duke. (No, he doesn’t make the beer). If you have any problems getting an appointment send me a PM. This guy is a freaking magician.

Phl218 likes this.