1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any master VW techs on here?

Discussion in 'General' started by eppy01f4i, May 2, 2019.

1. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

This is a long shot but do we have any master VW techs on here?

I may have screwed up..... :confused::rtfrb:

2. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

My neighbor works on them if that helps.

3. eppy01f4i

Only if you want to show him this thread :D

I’ll post the details...

4. eppy01f4i

2011 GTI
    135,000 miles
    Car was throwing intake code 008213 for a couple of months but still getting 30MPG.
    One day I was getting a miss fire so decided it was time to rip it apart.

I'm doing valve cleaning, new intake manifold, sent the injectors out for ultrasonic cleaning, and new water pump.

I noticed that the far right intake valve is not opening or closing when I turn the motor over. All other valves operate properly. I have spun the motor by hand and by cranking with the fuel pump fuse out. The valve never moves, stayed in the closed position at all times.

When I was doing the cleaning I may have spun the motor counter clockwise not knowing till after the fact to spin it clockwise. I was only spinning the motor with pulling/ pushing on the belt so I didn't get many turns on it. Even then I never remember the valve opening or closing.

When I cranked it over with the battery/ starter nothing sounded "bad".

Thoughts? Did my screw up throw something off with the timing?
    Wouldn't more than one valve be doing that if that were the case?

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Pull the valve cover and inspect the cam lobes. VW has had issues with cam hardness before

eppy01f4i likes this.
  6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well that and you never spin the motor over by pulling on the belt or trying to turn the camshafts, the tensioner is where it is for a reason and you're defeating the whole purpose of it. I'd be, at the very least 1) finding out why that valve isn't opening and 2) doing a leak down test to see if you bent any valves and double checking the timing if the leak down test is ok.

If timing is off more than 2-3 teeth you may have bent valve, im assuming it's an interference engine.

7. drop

drop Well-Known Member

You'd be very hard pressed to make me believe you bent a valve turning it forward or backward by hand. The tensionser holds tension on it all the time, so even if you don't turn it the right way, your not going to bend a valve. Sounds like it was bent before hand, hence it not moving up and down. It's bent just below the face enough to keep it open, but not enough for contact. Hence throwing an intake code. That or the cam is garbage.

What engine is it.

My girls Jetta is the 1.8t motor and it IS a contact motor. I'm not sure if the 2.0 or others are.

8. eppy01f4i

2.0 CCTA turbo

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Send me the VIN, I'll have my krautmobile guy check if it's one of the affected models for a timing chain and tensioner issue.

Buddy's 2012 A3 was on the list, might have some recourse through VW if it's timing component related.

10. eppy01f4i

Pickled,

Chains and tensioner were just changed by a local indy shop with OEM parts.
    But yeah it was part of the ongoing lawsuit, not holding my breath I'll see a cent.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh that sucks. How long ago?

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Not what I'm really saying. His issues may be two fold now. If he jumped the timing by rotating the engine backwards by rotating a cam rather than at the crank, and then cranked it, surely could bend valves. In fact I just tore down an engine today where the guy had timing codes and he thought he'd get in there himself and proceeded to knock it out of time even further, fortunately he didn't crank or rotate the engine from that point on. Most tensioners are oil fed and have a ratcheting pawl, forcing an engine backwards in rotation doesn't necessarily mean it's going to jump but there is a chance. I see it more with roller chains, his engine has that inverted tooth which i think is more robust. I'm not trying to scare him, just pointing out it may be worth checking before venturing further, then again it may not matter depending on what the reason his intake valve isn't moving... Gotta check it out.

13. eppy01f4i

Spitz,

I only spun the engine via the serpentine belt running to the crank or at the crank, never the camshaft alone.
    I have never personally had the engine open, not even the valve cover off.

14. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Only one valve? Pull the cam cover. Turn the engine at the crank by hand. Watch. Cams hollow. Lobes pressed on.

15. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Pre-2012 2.0T VW engines have a known issue with the cam chain tensioner. There are tons of class-action suits about it, but I am not aware that anyone has received a plug nickel from it.

The ratchet in the tensioner breaks, about 6 inches after you turn 100.000 miles. Usually during or immediately after starting, and usually cold. Engine is totaled.