1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wet weather performance Q3+/Q4

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Prospect, May 2, 2019.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Has anyone done wet trackdays on either tire?

2. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I ran the Q3+ at a trackday where there was standing water on the track at the beginning of the day. I rode them in wet but drying conditions for 3 sessions and was very impressed with their grip. Once the track was completely dry I was still impressed with how well they performed.

Prospect likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

For the wet I think you'd be better off with the Q3+ over the Q4's as they don't have siping all the way to the edge like the Q3's

@3:35

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 10.16.49 AM.png

Prospect likes this.
  4. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Great, thanks for the feedback guys.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

A scuffed set of slicks or DOTs will work OK on a wet track. The issue comes when the water puddles and causes the tires to hydro plane. So if you have to out on a wet track with new tires make sure they're rains.

JBowen33 and Prospect like this.
  6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Where you located I got some rain tires I need gone.

7. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

I did two wet track days on the Q3 (prior gen to Q3+) at VIR and Summit Point Main last season and it was scary. Being super slow and smooth on throttle, very slow pace, taking away lean angle, running a gear higher, and my rear was still sliding around in all the tight corners. Maybe I should have tried a different power delivery mode; I've only ever had it in "STD" mode and my R1 doesn't seem to do "low torque" at any throttle opening. That said, they say the Q3+ is better in the rain; I have a set on now but have not had them out in the wet yet.

Prospect likes this.
  8. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Valuable feedback, thanks. I'm on an R6, but I'll still be very careful.

9. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

PMed.

10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

On a wet track (not “damp”) you should be using rains. The “DOT” stamp means nothing on a race track or for its “wet” conditions ability. “DOT” simply means that the tire conforms to a set standard ratio of sipping percentage versus surface area of a tire. That doesn’t mean the sipping even has to dissipate water. Riding around a race track on DOTS in the rain is dangerous and makes zero sense. Why would you want to “tip toe” around a race track especially when there is a superior product that could keep you and your bike in one piece better then something else not to mention you can go faster

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    badmoon692008 likes this.