1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Educate me please about GSX-R vs R6

Discussion in 'General' started by almano, Apr 29, 2019.

1. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

We just raced on the Daytona 200 in March. First time at Daytona, we are from Europe and it was really great experience. Finishing 13th was great feeling we come back for sure next year, maybe even in october.
    Anyway, I was always wondering why the GSX-R's are so competitive in the USA and the R6 not the #1 thing .
    In Europe, You barely see GSX-R on the 600 grid on the races. Nobody wants to ride them because they say its not a competitive package. I saw at Daytona how the GSX-R's were going. Considering You can not modify the engine really, just dont get how they were so fast? What the USA GSX-R's know better? :)

Knotcher likes this.
  2. You have to look at a) how many gsxr’s are on the grid b) the two that are on the grid look at the team that’s fielding them
    Team Hammer has their poop in a group and have developed that bike over many years. What they’ve done to make that bike as good as it is is nothing short of amazing. They are a Suzuki support team so kind of stuck with that bike and probably have to put a lot of resources behind making it as good as it is as they are starting with a platform that is behind the Yamaha. If you look at what they’ve done with their sv’s in their first year in the twins class that speaks volumes itself. The things a missle. They have a great group of people with a metric shit ton of knowledge is the short answer. They’ve been able to overcome the short comings of the gsxr quite a bit and that allows the bike to shine more in its stronger points like stability, etc. Not to mention if you look at who’s ass is in the seat of them they didn’t exactly pull people off the street. Like I stated, that team is a whole package from rider selection all the way to what they do back at the shop behind the scenes.

ducnut, Banditracer and TurboBlew like this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Two words: Keith Perry.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

At the club level it's R6's - but overall it's a popularity thing not so much a quality of machine thing. If the rider is good any of them can be competitive.

Scott S., 5axis, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Part of it is that the R6's popularity has made setup a breeze. Everything is a known quantity, exactly what parts you need, springs, ride heights, etc. Also there's parts everywhere and they are cheap!

6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

insert massive Alex Rins photo here lol

i've wondered the same for WSS too.

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, that is a double edged sword in a way...
    There is no universal setup for everybody.

I dont beleive the hard parts of the Yamamaha’s are any better than either Suzuki or Kawasaki. At one point the ride by wire stuff and MM Ecu was allowing them more functionality. Not sure if that is still the case with the current rules though.

Gino230 likes this.
  8. Since you mentioned it, yepper. The guy knows how to make some power, and reliable power at that.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Mr. Perry could have probably gone international and been very successful.

He's about as quiet as a church mouse.

The loyalty and collaboration between the Ulrich's and Mr. Perry has been incredible and lead to incredible success.

If you think about the talent that's been found and groomed out of that Team...it's quite incredible.

Shenanigans and AC1108 like this.
  10. The depth in that team is quite staggering not to mention that they’ve survived through all the ups and downs in the economy of racing for this long. Chris is also doing a good job with what he’s been doing, he might have learned a thing or two from dad. I’d love to have video camera going when perry is doing engine development. Not to steal his secrets just to know his process. He finds ways to just make things work within whatever restrictions he has wether it be rules or money. Sometimes there’s only so much you can squeeze out when you have a budget that’s less than other teams but I’d bet my pay check he has every last bit of efficiency (I said efficiency because power is not all about one number is about the most efficient power to make the bike go fast around a given track which is where I think a lot of his magic is).

11. I’m trying to think of any national level team that’s groomed more talent on an international level. Nothing comes to mind.

12. almano

I understand You guys saying about Team Hammer, their long time knowledge, but still like at Daytona is basically STOCK rules. Can not rally touch the engine internals to make real power other than changing the pistons, but can not be high compression or lighter, so it more for durability. Here in EU if You race in STOCK600, the Gixxer has no chance against R6 no matter who rides it. To make the GSXR better than R6 You must cheat. ;)

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Why not put an R6 motor in the G S X R?? :D

almano likes this.
  14. almano

I was thinking about a 750 motor.... :) :)

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Just ride it (the GSX-R) more efficiently. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Why more competitive? Bold new graphics of course!

17. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Does Suzuki just not give a shit about the 600 hence its lack of exposure in WSS categories around the world compared to the other Japanese brands or is it that much of a turd? That is the question. Rider skill can make all the difference in the world, but it isn't exactly something you can achieve as quickly as choosing the most competitive platform to start with.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

GSXR’s aint exactly uncompetetive...

Steeltoe and TLR67 like this.
  19. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Your statement holds no value due to the spelling mistake.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

They really haven't changed it much for many years, so maybe they don't really give a shit. We won an AMA championship on it in 2014, so anything is possible with the right team. Still virtually no electronics on it. Teams like M4 that are doing well with it deserve a lot of credit for succeeding with the old girl.