1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'08 Tuono Factory R

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Apr 24, 2019.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Anyone here ever own one, worth owning or nah?

Reliability issues?

One came up locally for sale and thinking about it....I've always been a fan of the Tuono.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

Research the “brown connector “ issue on the aprilia forum.

Great bikes...once the electrical issue is resolved

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

What does a faulty "brown connector" actually do?

4. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

TY!

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

XFBO likes this.
  7. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

It has a Rotax engine that is virtually bullet proof. You would love the bike.

XFBO likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Those cause cancer and reproductive harm. :eek:

California - :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  9. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

I had an '03 Tuono and I wish I never sold it. Great bikes

XFBO and Phl218 like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, if you eat 3000 of them

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I love my 2007.5 Tuono. I have forks, brakes, triple clamp and wheels from a Factory, just not the CF bits. I did update the shock from the Sachs to an Ohlins and now the handling and ride are excellent, but you will have a decent Ohlins shock on it already if it is a Factory.
    For highway and track day duty something like the Puig wind screen was a must. The buffeting was awful with the stock screen for me (6'2" tall).

No reliability issues on mine, but it only has 6k miles on it. I don't ride on the street that much (work from home) and it only did one track day.

XFBO likes this.
  12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I bought a new one in Spring of 07 and still have it. Great bikes and the brown connector thing is a simple fix. I replaced the stator and r/r when the oem stator died and haven’t had an issue since. Gotta get an exhaust, air filter and have the ecu switched over to map 2 and it’s a whole different bike. I added a power commander as well with a custom map done by AF1. -1+2 gearing makes it a riot but mpg suffers a bit if you’re road tripping on it.

XFBO likes this.
  13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

And this bike sounds freaking awesome! I had a RSVR which had the same motor and I can vouch that motor is bulletproof.

cpettit likes this.
  14. Mille R

There is a guy Amauri on apriliaforum who may be the top aprilia guy in the country. He is a really nice guy and would be happy to provide insight. He loves those engines. Reach out to him if you want.

XFBO likes this.
  15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Amauri is a nice guy. He's in S. Cal, based in Irvine.

@XFBO
    The shop that is the "go to" for US and about 1/2 the rest of the world is AF1 Racing in Austin.
    Storefront: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/default.asp

They host the Aprilia Forum out of their own pocket. I can not begin to tell you about the accumulated knowledge that is in those pages.
    They broke the forum sections down by model type, so go look here: https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Tuono-1000-R-and-Tuono-Factory-(2006-2010)
    You will find fixes for just about any issues that have come up, and the AF1 mechanics are pretty active across all makes/models.

Motor is bombproof.
    Once the brown connector is fixed, and the kickstand switch are bypassed, you are set on electrics.

XFBO and code3ryder like this.
  16. Mille R

Jeb is 100% correct. I had an 00.5 Mille R and an 04 RSV Factory. Both were Rotax engines. Both required some minor fixes that were very simple. Once done those bikes ran perfect without any issues of any nature.

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I thought you looked familiar. :)

Mille R likes this.
  18. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

The terminal ends in the brown stator connector were a sloppy fit... resistance heat and it only gets worse. Pinch the female connectors a bit. I found a way to re-route the harness/connector out from between the cylinders and away from the heat. I did it right after purchase and never had a stator issue.
    As for the bike it's a misbehaving reliable crazy fun experience. Snip a wire at the ecu, have map II loaded with an aftermarket exhaust which deletes the cats and they wake up big. I Put 24k on mine without a hiccup or failure of any kind.
    Sold it only to fund the kids racing like so much other stuff.
    I still cruise the market for them. Will have another one day. Great deals out there.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    XFBO and cpettit like this.
  19. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I simply cut the brown connector out when i replaced the stator and r/r and soldered the wires together. Lil heat shrink and electric tape over that and never had a problem again. New stator came with enough wire to cut and re solder a dozen times if need be.

And the arrow Ti pipes are where it's at! 20160330_190844 Resize.jpg 20160330_190828 resize.jpg

ducnut and XFBO like this.
  20. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I always wanted an 08 in blue. Problem was nearest dealer was 6 hours away so I picked up my 08 R1. But now.... Those 08's are def sick looking!

24210086_1770356566316343_6122622792346030317_o.jpg

cpettit and Jedb like this.