1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any WERA linemen?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm with ya. I've got a couple buddies that work in for power co (various jobs from linesman, to transformers). I probably could have tried to get in years ago too, but it's not for me. Electricity will kill you, and hurt the whole time. I'm a machinist, I make things, and I know everyday I'm going to go home. Unless I have a heart attack or aneurysm from dealing with the stupidities of the automotive industry....

I've got major respect for those who pursue it as a career. Those guys work hard (the linesman anyway....) and get reward as such. Good luck to your boy, sounds like he's got his head screwed on straight.

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

This looks safe

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

^ No thanks. I'd rather get my excitement when I hit the #'s on a tight bore first try lol.

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Fun career field to be in but don't be a dare devil. This is much like racing, safety preparation goes a long way and might save your life.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

[​IMG]

ChemGuy likes this.
  6. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

And most people think what we do for fun is crazy dangerous also. The guys that do that job respect and know the risks and take it very seriously. That said, when a guy got killed working storm damage and went to put up a line he thought was dead, it makes you realize just how one persons mistake can wreck an entire family. My brother tells me they sometimes wait hours for a line to be cleared before they will get anywhere near it working storm damage while the locals bitch at them thinking they are lazy for just sitting around in the truck.

swetngblts and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Are any of you a lineman for the county? :D

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Matthew came through FL and put us out of power for nearly two weeks. They couldn't even get to many of the lines around my area due to flooding. but when they showed up those guys WORKED.

One day I drove by and asked them if they had enough to eat and drink. They had plenty of water, but were running low on food. Went down to Publix and bought some huge sub rings and snacks as a thank-you. They had our grid back up within 24 hours of showing up in our neighborhood.

Laz, ts199, Motofun352 and 2 others like this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:clap:

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

So who are the real experts in bird law around here? Royal McPoyal?

NemesisR6 likes this.
  11. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Just about to get rid of an apprentice because he can't retain any information. After his 3rd time getting secondaries together, we grounded him. His hours are frozen until further notice. Dude wants to be a lineman, just so he can post stupid shit online about being a lineman, not because he truly wants to do the work.

swetngblts likes this.
  12. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are asking exactly.

Are you asking at what voltage you use rubber gloves and sleeves, then hot sticks, and then barehand?

In Pennsylvania, the most we can glove is 13,200 volts. It maybe a bit more, but that is the most common voltage

On the property I'm working now, they have 23kv and we have to hot stick that.

Hot sticks are rated for 10,000 volts a foot (I have to verify that number), so if you are working higher voltages (over 69kv) the sticks get too long, thats when you either take an outage or get a barehand crew to do the work.

I'm not sure what the max voltage they barehand because I have no interest in doing high line work. I'm a distribution guy all the way.

13. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Consider applying directly to some of the utilities or major IBEW contractors, many have in-house schools that won't cost you anything and he'll earn a solid salary (some start upwards of $25 an hour) while in school. Having a CDL will help, if you go this route. There is a push in the industry to prefer applicants who have completed a pre-apprenticeship/lineman school like SELCAT or Northwestern (Edgewater school), but it's still not universally required. Historically, lineman apprentices tend to have a high washout rate, particularly during pole climbing school. After lineman school, we'd often only lose students due to a poor work ethic or failure to follow procedures (attempting to be a cowboy). It's a great field, if your son goes this route, he'll have a solid and lifelong career. Quite honestly, both SELCAT and NW have great schools for the utility industry. The biggest difference is that SELCAT is NJATC/IBEW/NECA, which will tend to be favored by many of the higher paying utilities and contractors. If there is a particular utility that he's striving for, it may be worth reaching out and asking a line crew or distribution manager from them. If you want, shoot me a PM with an address, and I'll send you a number of books that he can use to become more familiar with the field.

ts199, AC1108 and Dits like this.
  14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Great info. The Edgewater school is about 30 miles away. He wants to travel and work. Those are his goals.

I’d love to see him settle down locally and work with Duke or Florida Power and Light, but it’s his life.

15. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Any of the outside line jatc’s are actual apprenticeships where he will one day become a journeyman power lineman. They are apprenticeships (earn while you learn) with the contractors. He will travel throughout that jatc’s jurisdiction. Wherever the job takes him. There is absolutely no turning a job down. Instantly fired from the apprenticeship if so. SELCAT has many states in their area. Look around their webpage and it will tell you all you need to know. There’s also NEAT, MOvalley, Mountain states, Southwest line, ALBAT, NWline, and calnev jatcs maybe one more. Those are not Pre-apprenticeship schools that you pay for. I recommend working for the contractors.
    Utility is another way to go but IMO there’s more to experience while traveling and working with tramp Lineman. He can always go to a utility after he tops out.
    First have him get a class A and go sign the local hall outside line books as a groundman. Maybe he’ll get a call and go work with a line crew as a grunt.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Let us know his reaction first time he has to dig a pole hole with a "spoon". Linemen will know what I mean. :mad:
    PS, The guys love their auger trucks.
    Dad started out as a signalman for the RR back in 1940. Still have his "spoon" out in the barn.

17. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Thanks, you answered my question

18. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

No direct experience other than working at a utility but like everyone else I have a lot of respect for the job. Very dangerous with some things out of your control (is the line switched out?) but every time I walked through a substation there was a high degree of safety displayed. We had 2 contractors die in one year which caused the whole company to really emphasize safety for all departments. One death was due to contact with a 69kV line and the other was a helicopter tree trimming operator having a mechanical.

19. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Very cool but there can be some rude folks out there. Cool and true story. My bro was working storm damage in Louisiana and was up on a pole when a truck came by and the guy asked when they might get his power back on. My bro thought the guy looked familiar and told him they should be good shortly. The guy in the truck said it was his parents house that needed power and his was already back on. It was at that point that they realized it was Kevin Windham. They got finished and were about to move on and KW came back by. My brother then told him he knew who he was and then KW invited them over to his house for drinks. They went and KW had a cool pad with a party room over his garage and they stayed up till the wee hours drinking and having a good time. He invited them to sleep there and grab a hot shower and food as they were staying in tents because all the hotels were full. After that, every time KW came to St. Louis for the SX, he would invite my brother down to the hauler and would give my nephew his full gear set for the night until he retired.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Windham is just like that. He's a very good guy and very cool racer. Not that many have the opportunity but Pastrana is very similar. give you the shirt of his back...

ts199 likes this.