1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student loan forgiveness

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Pittenger5, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I watched it. I just don't care. Let them die under their pile of stupid. No one held a gun to their heads and forced them to take out those loans to get an education that doesn't serve most of them very well. The first step to not always losing the game is to recognize if, when and how the game is rigged.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

The one that really pisses me off is when I was back in New England for christmas seeing how many cars with massachusetts plates with UNH or UVM stickers on their cars. So you know they're paying out of state tuition when they could go to UMass for almost half the cost. And then they're going to bitch about their student loans when they're out.
    And hell, I just looked up the school I graduated from, 11k a year. Certainly not a small chunk of change anymore, but also doable. Of course, if you want to live there, thats another 12k a year

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

that's very true and totally agree, but hard to see that. Especially if the mantra from an early age is usually: go to college and the roads will be paved with gold at the end of it all. When you've been preached that, it's hard to step back and see what's what.

4. Venom51

I got the same preaching every other kid got. It's easy to preach the road is paved with gold. What you should be telling them is how much fucking shovel work goes on to prepare the ground for that road to be paved. This notion that got into peoples heads that the only way through life is college to middle management is bullshit and always has been.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    cav115, TX Joose, R Acree and 3 others like this.
  5. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It's the parents "better than me" syndrome.

While it probably held true for legal immigrants or working class poor folks, the want and desire for their kids to do better is natural. Those were the parents that were working 2-3 jobs so their kids can have a better shot at life then they did. The problem I see now is you have this large influx of people that think college is the only way to go and the blue collar jobs are having a hard time finding good people. I'm sure it will shift again when these college educated folks are having to pay $2000 to get the drain vent line cleaned out of their AC unit :eek:

BigBird likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Remember when everyone had to get a MBA?
    PMP certs seem pretty popular now too

BigBird likes this.
  7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I would not have. As someone else stated people pay off 30K car loans. Pay more and get the government out of your life as fast as you can. Shoot keep living like a poor college student as much as possible and once graduated and working it should be able to be paid off in well under 5 years.

I took longer than 4 years to graduate as I was never full time. 3/4 for most of it and worked 2 jobs or a 50 hour week in one for all of it. Paid cash as I went.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

That's why they want illegal aliens, to do the jobs Americans won't :Poke:

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I didn't have that problem. The bike fit anyoldwhere. No car till after graduation. The rest of you suckas were pampered. :D

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I paid mine off early as well, but had there been an option to make a minimal payment for 20 years and then be clear? I would have at least run the numbers.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pretty much depends on the campus. I biked 3 of the 4 years on campus. Always had a car, but nothing anywhere close to new until years after graduation.

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And, my work is "crushing " me; can I count on you to help me?

Life is about choices.

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The banks paid their "bailouts" back and the government / taxpayers made a nice profit on the interest.

14. Venom51

When did you receive your check? I still haven't gotten my dividend payout from them. Ohhh what you meant to say is any interest made got squandered away by the same idiots that caused the fucking problem.

BigBird likes this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Forgive a man for fucking up and he'll be happy for a day,
    slap a man upside the head for fucking up and he won't be happy but he won't do it again.
    You have to keep those service industry jobs wages depressed.
    I have to laugh when people bitch about the lack of wage
    increases the last few decades.
    First, they convinced women they had to work a fulltime
    job or they weren't fulfilled, which increased the labor pool by
    50+% and then they opened the borders to illegal aliens
    to supply maids and gardeners and drivers and now roofers and carpenters.

The elites don't give a fuck if there are no good jobs for the little people.
    They want cheap labor.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

And in both cases, the entire mess was enabled by the very same government who you said should fix the mess. That is the definition of insanity...

:stupid: My youngest daughter got screwed over by a counselor at her college who pretty much insisted that she not take a class that was being offered in her first semester as it would have her "overloaded". Fast forward to now. She has been unable to take that class due to scheduling conflicts so her 2 options are either take it this summer or stay for an extra semester. Our fault for not looking at things closer and paying attention more but I do think they do shit like that to extend peoples stay. The joke is on them though. She busted her ass and will be out in 3 1/2.:D

sheepofblue and R Acree like this.
  17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Did they really or is this one of those money shuffles like Clintons "balanced budget"?

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How is it insanity to expect the people who made the mess to clean it up? If your kids trash their room, do you clean it or do you make them do it?

19. Venom51

The insanity, after knowing the track record of the Imperial Federal Government and their ability to "fix" things, is still thinking they can make the situation better in any way.

Banditracer likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Shuffling. The banks used the money to buy up stocks/etc at rock bottom prices, probably including a bunch of their own, and when the stimulus bounced the market back up, that made YUUUUUUGE profits.